Another honest mistake

Meet you at the Black man for a square go. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Well, it widnae be the first square go to be seen in that vicinity Shammy. I was down that way about a month back. Had a walk around, went into the PI for a coffee, hoping to maybe meet someone I knew. Didn't happen, so had a dauner from the Cross up Govan Road, past the Black Man, Richard's, The Harmony Bar, The Old Govan Arms, and back down to the Cross. Got to say, it left me with a heavy heart.
The Govan I knew and loved no longer exists. To think we even had four cinemas at one time. The place was bustling, full of life and full of characters. Got wonderful memories of a special place though. Time's a bastard!

Well, it widnae be the first square go to be seen in that vicinity Shammy. I was down that way about a month back. Had a walk around, went into the PI for a coffee, hoping to maybe meet someone I knew. Didn't happen, so had a dauner from the Cross up Govan Road, past the Black Man, Richard's, The Harmony Bar, The Old Govan Arms, and back down to the Cross. Got to say, it left me with a heavy heart.
The Govan I knew and loved no longer exists. To think we even had four cinemas at one time. The place was bustling full of life and full of characters. Got wonderful memories of a special place though. Time's a bastard!
It's not the same place at all Frank but I can still walk past my Nana's close in Burleigh St, my granny's close in Roseneath St and the close where I was brought up in Luath St. Both my parents came from Govan so I couldn't walk 10 yards without bumping into a family member. I miss that sense of community when no one was better off than anyone else but if someone was in trouble, it got sorted.

It's not the same place at all Frank but I can still walk past my Nana's close in Burleigh St, my granny's close in Roseneath St and the close where I was brought up in Luath St. Both my parents came from Govan so I couldn't walk 10 yards without bumping into a family member. I miss that sense of community when no one was better off than anyone else but if someone was in trouble, it got sorted.
Aye, that sense of community was always part of people's lives Shammy. As I said, my memories of growing up in Nethan St are very special to me. Running about in the height of summer wearing wellies because I didn't have shoes. We were all the same , torne arsed kids who had nothing except everything we needed.
Genuinely happy days.

Aye, that sense of community was always part of people's lives Shammy. As I said, my memories of growing up in Nethan St are very special to me. Running about in the height of summer wearing wellies because I didn't have shoes. We were all the same , torne arsed kids who had nothing except everything we needed.
Genuinely happy days.
We were all fairly poor and yet I didn't know anyone who didn't work, yet folk still malign the unions.

Back in the day when we had a big game down south due to the limited ticket allocation supporters buses had to amalgamate. Although I was from the east end my club used to join up with a bus from govan. Iโ€™m not sure if it was called the govan Brighton sc or if that was the name of the pub it left from. Memories slightly hazy due to such good times on it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช

Back in the day when we had a big game down south due to the limited ticket allocation supporters buses had to amalgamate. Although I was from the east end my club used to join up with a bus from govan. Iโ€™m not sure if it was called the govan Brighton sc or if that was the name of the pub it left from. Memories slightly hazy due to such good times on it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿฅƒ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
There was a Brighton St in Govan and maybe there was a Brighton bar. There were hundreds of pubs in Govan, maybe Frank will know.

Members online

Latest posts

Back