Celtic v AZ Alkmaar.

Ok I'll admit it I shouldn't have had that lager tops on top of that shandy 🥳 seriously though I'm of the thought that given our current situation with players required etc I'd put that performance and result with the best since we conquered Rome and showed many why you can never EVER write off a Celtic side fantastic effort from the whole team can you believe that this is essentially the same team who were beaten by ross county in the cup not so long ago? No me either but it is and the energy levels is fantastic and a joy to behold. We have acquired some superv talent in Kyogo and Abada, Forrest back doing his thing rogic playing his best stuff in 2 season's its thrilling to see and Eddie who ( I mean howe) dodged a bullet there I mean I love chicken just dont want one as our manager . Theres only one Postecoglou !
One Postecoglou! His names too long tae rhyme in a song! Only one Ange Postecoglou HH
There’s a buzz aboot the place

Hibs pathetic capitulation at the hands of Rijeka aside can anyone remember when was the last time that Scotland had 4clubs out of 5 one tie away from qualifying for the group stages of European football ? Granted st johnstone have it tough being drawn against LASK Linz but their performance v galatasaray should give them encouragement. We might well be looking at celtic , ss, st johnstone and Aberdeen all qualifying and that's something I never saw coming so cmon the Scottish clubs bar ss getting through what an achievement that would be. Truly last word double vision and typing dont mix 🤪

Pure shattered wot an atmosphere tonite think overall we were quite comfy until we overplay at the back wich we have to get used to was brilliant to see the troops in the hoops in the flesh wee kyogo oh my god the bhoys everywhere and keeps his scoring record going superb all round tonite apart from odd wee scare lol HAIL HAIL TROOPS

Pure shattered wot an atmosphere tonite think overall we were quite comfy until we overplay at the back wich we have to get used to was brilliant to see the troops in the hoops in the flesh wee kyogo oh my god the bhoys everywhere and keeps his scoring record going superb all round tonite apart from odd wee scare lol HAIL HAIL TROOPS
Carrying all that doo shite hame will do that tae you m8
Hope you had a ball

I know I've said this already in this thread but this tie is far from over. I've watched live, highlights, extended highlights and imo that game couldve had double figures scored in it were it not for some superb defending from both sides. We must go there with the attitude that it's really half time ( which of course it is) they really shouldve scored and but for as I said great defensive work, superb save from Hart and poor finishing from them, sitters. We won the game on attacking edge. A wonderful strike and a but of luck fir the second. The ditching of away goals means we can go there and play our fast attacking game. They werent too shabby coming forward themselves and this will make for a fascinating game, not I hope a nerve shredding one though. Whether or not juranovic will be available ihdk. He may be cup tied until the group stages. One thing that I did notice was that AZ play a similar style to us. Relentless attacking and possibly more direct with their attacks often coming through the middle as opposed to our wing play attacking. We are at times still vulnerable to ball over the top as in the hearts game. If we can score 1 over there I think that would be enough as I'd be surprised if this Celtic side will concede 3. I don't see Ange changing tactics and we will attack which suits us with the firepower we have in Kyogo, eddy, Abada, Forrest, Turnbull and the dilema is if Christie is fit will he start before the rejuvenated Rogic ? Good dilemma for us to have. Our defence is very inexperienced and young Rslston, welsh, starfelt and Taylor. If we go there and win then I believe that we are looking at a new Celtic mindset. We have to be prepared for conceding and coping with that. I'm confident dont get me wrong but they're no mugs and luckily for us they've just lost star striker Myron Boadu to Monaco I believe and that's a bonus he hit 21 goals last season. Play our game have no fear and I'm positive were into the group stages. We just have to press them in the same manner as I don't believe that trying to protect our 2 goal advantage will work. In Ange we trust but since its 5.30 a.m Southside Glasgow time I thought I'd rabble a wee bit my own take on this tie which could turn into open end to end warfare we dont want that but the fact that they need 2 without reply is in our favour and will leave them open to our wide men attacking at speed. So that's it an amatuers take on the 2nd leg cos I canny sleep . I'll settle for the draw 2-2 and play anything like we did last night they will struggle as they simply cannot afford to lose another goal. They had every man behind the ball at times so more of the same please Celtic and blow them away . Hollands 3rd best side I've read. Rant anslysis over mon the hoops HH

Last edited:
He'll be fine. Before joining hadn't played since May, no pre season and thrown in to 6 games in 2 and half weeks. He will never have played in a team that attacks and plays on the front foot from back to front before, takes a bit of getting used to. He, and all CBs who play for us under Ange, will make mistakes when trying to pass through the eye of a needle to midfielders, its the risk and reward the manager wants them to play. His penalty box defending in the second half was very good, as was Ralston and Welsh, the vulnerability is to counter attack with pace.
Probably needs
the international break to take a breathe and work on some fitness.
Good assessment Gary and think it's accurate....i do think though that Starfelt will be a target for the cheats at Liebrox. I note he likes to get a tackle in and you can see he reads the game. Gets up close to his man and it looks like he is diving in at times and we have already seen that in itself is a risk that is kinda highlighting him at the moment but hopefully it is down to fitness and sharpness as you say. The gimp moreloss will go down at every opportunity and seek to play off his shoulder looking for that red card to be gleefully waved by the MIB. I hope the boy comes good as you can already see he is under pressure and looks like he is feeling it. But thankfully the rest of the defence are giving it their all and supporting the lad with Joe Hart showing leadership Welsh constantly improving Tony Ralston being the man of the moment and Taylor never hiding giving it his best. So well done to all in that back 5 given the limited resources and trying to adapt to Angeball in quick time with games coming hard and fast. As you say most defences will come in for criticism under that style of play. I wonder what we would have thought of our defence had we lost the 2 goals AZ lost against us and I would say their backline was pretty solid.

Watched the game on Celtic TV and really annoyed that the feed died just before we scored. Amateurs running Celtic TV unable to cope with the demand. Glad we won but my heart was in my mouth when they cut though our defence at ease. We rode our luck. We need to score next week for my nerves to cope.

I know I've said this already in this thread but this tie is far from over. I've watched live, highlights, extended highlights and imo that game couldve had double figures scored in it were it not for some superb defending from both sides. We must go there with the attitude that it's really half time ( which of course it is) they really shouldve scored and but for as I said great defensive work, superb save from Hart and poor finishing from them, sitters. We won the game on attacking edge. A wonderful strike and a but of luck fir the second. The ditching of away goals means we can go there and play our fast attacking game. They werent too shabby coming forward themselves and this will make for a fascinating game, not I hope a nerve shredding one though. Whether or not juranovic will be available ihdk. He may be cup tied until the group stages. One thing that I did notice was that AZ play a similar style to us. Relentless attacking and possibly more direct with their attacks often coming through the middle as opposed to our wing play attacking. We are time still vulnerable to ball over the top as in the hearts game. If we can score 1 over there I think that would be enough as I'd be surprised if this Celtic side will concede 3. I don't see Ange changing tactics and we will attack which suits us with the firepower we have in Kyogo, eddy, Abada, Forrest, Turnbull and the dilema is if Christie is fit will he start before the rejuvenated Rogic ? Good dilemma for us to have. Our defence is very inexperienced and young Rslston, welsh, starfelt and Taylor. If we go there and win then I believe that we are looking at a new Celtic mindset. We have to be prepared for conceding and coping with that. I'm confident dont get me wrong but they're no mugs and luckily for us they've just lost star striker Myron Boadu to Monaco I believe and that's a bonus he hit 21 goals last season. Play our game have no fear and I'm positive were into the group stages. We just have to press them in thecssbe manner as I don't believe that trying to protect our 2 goal advantage will work. In Ange we trust but since its 5.30 a.m Southside Glasgow time I thought I'd rabble a wee bit my own take on this tie which could turn into open end to end warfare we dont want that but the fact that they need 2 without reply is in our favour and will leave them open to our wide men attacking at speed. So that's it an amatuers take on the 2nd leg cos I vsnny sleep . I'll settle for the draw 2-2 and play anything like we did last night they will struggle as they simply cannot afford to lose another goal. They had every man behind the ball at times so more of the same please Celtic and blow them away . Hollands 3rd best side I've read. Rant anslysis over mon the hoops HH
I'd say you have to keep Rogic and sacrifice Forrest to get Christie back in the team if he's fully fit.

Watched the game on Celtic TV and really annoyed that the feed died just before we scored. Amateurs running Celtic TV unable to cope with the demand. Glad we won but my heart was in my mouth when they cut though our defence at ease. We rode our luck. We need to score next week for my nerves to cope.
We're still wide open at the back too frequently but that's the price of surging forward all the time. Maybe some more game time together will help or some expert defence coaching. Julien coming back might also help. I'm pretty sure Ange will get the scary bits under control, he'll have to or we'll continue being exploited by better teams than AZ.

Last edited:
You were probably shattered after climbing the stairs.
😂
HH

It is actually a quite stressful watch. When we are piling forward leaving Starfelt alone at the back, Welsh ( who was great) walzing down the left wing and the full backs at inside forward you kinda start watching with your hands over your face peering through fingers.
God it’s great to be a Celt
HH

I hae a special Kylie drool bucket which I keep next to my Kate Bush slaver box.
Och!
Prefer Suzanna Reid ..shes a wee hone
Whit, Suzy snobby Reid, nigella (Tory) Lawson, kylie gets a free cos she is beautiful but for the rest no no no, no no slavering
Anyway my hearts on fire for big Ange - without the slavering come on the Celtic.

Big Ange has delivered exactly what he said he would,he is right up there with B.R as regards to coaching,or maybe B.R. is right up there with Ange..

HH
BR was found out and he knew it. Even in Scotland teams knew how we would play, it got far too predictable, he was obsessed with possession that's where all the sideways passing came from.
Ange is all about movement and speed, forward. It's exciting stuff.

Enjoyed that last night 😉.

Some good individual performances last night and some not so good.

Once again our mids seemed to struggle to get to grips with the fast moving guys in clogs, however they stuck at it and with a large large slice of luck we kept a clean sheet.

First half, Starfelt Turnbull and Wee Greg all struggled, in fact the big swede was causing chaos in the stands and defence at one point, but he stuck to it and played his way through a difficult period.

Tony, Welsh, Tom and Emperor Kyogo were immense.

But to me it's another small step in the right direction, hopefully Ange gets the players in he needs to bolster the squad sooner rather than out usual late late later.

Said at half time last night that we were missing Charlie Christies wee boy on the left wing. Jamsie for me is more effective on the right and it was pleasing to see him and Abada switch at half time.

Going to be a nail biter next Thursday in the land of daffodils and windmills, but with a bit more quality with our passing and possession we will get there.

H.H

Members online

Latest posts

Back