Celtic v Motherwell - Sunday 30 August, Celtic Park - kick-off 3pm, all comments here

We meed a left back, to play as a left back, defend, and have the speed and determination to get back, if they get caught upfield
KT and Andy Robertson are exceptions to this
Fullbacks used to go on the overlap given the opportunity, now it's expected, every time we are coming out of defence
Just my opinion, but we get caught out too easily, especially in Europe with the teams who hit us on the break
HH
We have the players to do that no problem, but have seen Lenno's last 2 teams? Seriously WTF nothing to do with Europe personally couldn't give feck about or the cups..biggest season I'll ever see, means more the league in my wee eyes.

We meed a left back, to play as a left back, defend, and have the speed and determination to get back, if they get caught upfield
KT and Andy Robertson are exceptions to this
Fullbacks used to go on the overlap given the opportunity, now it's expected, every time we are coming out of defence
Just my opinion, but we get caught out too easily, especially in Europe with the teams who hit us on the break
HH
One of the most important requirements for any Celtic player, is understanding the philosophy of playing in a predominately front-footed team.

I believe that it should be a given that any player deemed worthy of the first team will have the basic skillset of being able to control, pass and header a football. They should have an intelligence and the ability to beat a man, cross a ball and play in the areas that hurt teams. Defenders should be alert to danger and make the appropriate decision to challenge for the ball or stand off of their man.

That maybe simplifies it somewhat, but if any of our players CAN'T do these things, then they shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

I guess we've been spoiled by the players that went before in the full-back positions, but the key thing that stood out about Big Tam and Danny McGrain was that they mostly got the balance right between bombing forward and taking care of their defensive duties. KT was an ok defender, but he got caught the wrong side a good few times. Taylor is a decent defender but lacks the quality going forward.

I believe that the Rosenberg boy wasn't a priority when we had KT and I also believe that PL has told Lenny, that if we've spent £6million on two left-backs, then it's down to him to make it work.

But you're bang on, Dil. A better class of opposition pick us apart too easily, that has been all too apparent in the Cluj, Copenhagen and Ferencvaros games (even the huns opened us up at will twice last season). A lot was made of the Lazio games, but we set up defensively for those two games and were able to counter-attack. In those other games we were opened up by long balls and a bit of pace and power. Not good enough for where we should be.

One of the most important requirements for any Celtic player, is understanding the philosophy of playing in a predominately front-footed team.

I believe that it should be a given that any player deemed worthy of the first team will have the basic skillset of being able to control, pass and header a football. They should have an intelligence and the ability to beat a man, cross a ball and play in the areas that hurt teams. Defenders should be alert to danger and make the appropriate decision to challenge for the ball or stand off of their man.

That maybe simplifies it somewhat, but if any of our players CAN'T do these things, then they shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

I guess we've been spoiled by the players that went before in the full-back positions, but the key thing that stood out about Big Tam and Danny McGrain was that they mostly got the balance right between bombing forward and taking care of their defensive duties. KT was an ok defender, but he got caught the wrong side a good few times. Taylor is a decent defender but lacks the quality going forward.

I believe that the Rosenberg boy wasn't a priority when we had KT and I also believe that PL has told Lenny, that if we've spent £6million on two left-backs, then it's down to him to make it work.

But you're bang on, Dil. A better class of opposition pick us apart too easily, that has been all too apparent in the Cluj, Copenhagen and Ferencvaros games (even the huns opened us up at will twice last season). A lot was made of the Lazio games, but we set up defensively for those two games and were able to counter-attack. In those other games we were opened up by long balls and a bit of pace and power. Not good enough for where we should be.
Cheers SP took a stroke oan the 2nd paragraph! Fuckin keep it short and sweet FFS!😂😂👍

Cheers SP took a stroke oan the 2nd paragraph! Fuckin keep it short and sweet FFS!😂😂👍
Ach, why use one word when you can use 30, GS.

You have to remember that I have rambling conversations with myself and that I'm my own best mate(s). I can drivel pish for the United Nations and if you've been gifted a talent for talking nonsense, then you'd be a fool not to use it.

Hopefully he gets his confidence and starts banging in lots of goals so that Lenny has no option but to play him in the bigger matches. But only giving a striker a few minutes at the end of a match every few weeks (as we did with Bayo) will not help either.
Tbf or even handed if you will he missed an absolute golden chance when one on one with the well goalie a chance he should've stuck away. That was disappointing and perhaps ( wee perhaps) proved lenny right. It hasnt stopped him being called up for the polish international side though. I thought ajeti took his goal brilliantly and ok the marking was shocking to allow ajers pass straight to him in the middle of the box but cant take away from him how he killed the ball stone dead before cracking that unstoppable shot into the upper left of the net. Ajeti looks the real deal and will only get better and better £5 million looks like a steal.Also noticed BIG HEADLINES about Bayo and his brace for Toulouse. I hope he gets to come back and have a go at cracking the starting XI and stays fit, what wasnt mentioned so much however was that this is league 2 in France and they lost 5-3 so make of that what you will. It's a well known fact that if you play for us the training sessions are intense to say the least and many players past and present haven't been able to cope with that. KTs comments about his superstar teammates at arsenal asking him to calm down in training is a great example of this. To KT it's just normal to give everything in training but not to arsenals super-paid -stars. I dont think it's a coincidence that they have suddenly added the community shield to the FA cup in the space of 4 weeks after what was a very disappointing league season for Arsenal but bring in a fit , enthusiastic KT and you're no longer talking about the same team.

Last edited:
Tbf or even handed if you will he missed an absolute golden chance when one on one with the well goalie a chance he should've stuck away.
Absolutely - he should have scored that one. He had a similar effort in pre-season and waltzed past the keeper, so no doubt that he can do it. I think if he gets time on the pitch then this will make him less anxious about having to take every single chance. He was unlucky with the "open-goal tap in" chance as there was a slight deflection that nudged the ball past him.

I agree Ajeti looks to be a very skilful, cool finisher, so I'm delighted with him joining us.

Absolutely - he should have scored that one. He had a similar effort in pre-season and waltzed past the keeper, so no doubt that he can do it. I think if he gets time on the pitch then this will make him less anxious about having to take every single chance. He was unlucky with the "open-goal tap in" chance as there was a slight deflection that nudged the ball past him.

I agree Ajeti looks to be a very skilful, cool finisher, so I'm delighted with him joining us.
Aye game time is what the bhoy requires then as you say the pressure will ease and he'll start scoring regularly HH

Ajeti reminds me of Dixie Deans.....I hope he turns out as good a signing...

Now he would be an amazing signing if he was near as good as Dixie.

Nae chance is there any way Ajeti looks or plays like Dixie for sure ,Dixie was like a Trojan Horse going at defenders even before playing for Celtic. Motherwell sent off six times ,before signing for the hoops big Jock told him if he wants to sign for Celtic.
No more getting sent off or he would be off, as myself cannot see any similarity
Between the pair

Nae chance is there any way Ajeti looks or plays like Dixie for sure ,Dixie was like a Trojan Horse going at defenders even before playing for Celtic. Motherwell sent off six times ,before signing for the hoops big Jock told him if he wants to sign for Celtic.
No more getting sent off or he would be off, as myself cannot see any similarity
Between the pair
when he scores a hat trick in a cup final ,,,,then i would agree but can see what folk are getting it

Back