Celtic v Rennes

Our academy players putting themselves in the Dundee shop window. If anybody thinks they will become first team players they are deluding themselves.

The only thing that Lenny will have been given to think about, is by fuck we need about five players in addition to the two RB’s.

Disappointing lack of real class in our young players. Continuing the trend over the last 30 years with only half a dozen in all that time produced.

Henderson and Johnston the only two with any hope of being able to move up.

Dear me.... these guys are so young and to write them off now is way to quick. For a club like us to get 1 youth player coming through each year is a bonus. So far we have, KT, Forrest, McGregor in the 1st team. We also have Johnstone and Henderson pushing for a place, for me that actually quite good. Lets give the rest a chance rather than writing them off after a friendly with Rennes.

On the game it's self, it's easy to pick out who our first team players are, Brown, Ajer, McGregor and Edward all oozed class.

Julien with Ajer beside him will be a stable partnership at the centre back. Julien was rusty but to me looked class. Brown and McGregor in front with Edward up top and we have a very very strong core.
It's who we fit around them, Forrest obviously (to me has been poor in preseason - but I wouldn't drop him on that). KT to come back. Christie fits in with the team very well. That leaves the forward left and right back.

1st 11 for a big game as it stands:
Bain
KT
Julien
Ajer
*RB
Brown
Mcgregor
Christie
Forrest
*Sinclair / Johnstone / Rogic / Griff
Edward

A right good right back is a must......

Our academy players putting themselves in the Dundee shop window. If anybody thinks they will become first team players they are deluding themselves.

The only thing that Lenny will have been given to think about, is by fuck we need about five players in addition to the two RB’s.

Disappointing lack of real class in our young players. Continuing the trend over the last 30 years with only half a dozen in all that time produced.

Henderson and Johnston the only two with any hope of being able to move up.
Wouldnt take too much from that game ?trainin session, but a thought Hendo and Morgan played well and wee Connell looked good on the ball?

Wouldnt take too much from that game ?trainin session, but a thought Hendo and Morgan played well and wee Connell looked good on the ball?

The Daily Reekord had a negative thing saying Connell looked off the pace of the game and 'lightweight'. I thought, like you, he looked good on the ball and was always willing to pick out a pass. A good debut for someone who obviously isn't fully match fit. I make many predictions and almost all of them turn out to be hilariously wrong, but I think in Connell we've got a cracker. I dunno what it is about him, but I love his confidence, his personality (seems like a lovely young laddie) and I think he's going to get stuck right into whatever opportunities he gets. The kind of player who will excel against Sevco if given a chance.

The boy Lucas Da Cunha from Rennes is worth keeping an eye on. He's the type of young player we should be looking to bring in. Connell for me was ok on the ball but Broony needs to give him a heads up on his level of commitment. More one for the future. Thought Morgan and Henderson were good.

Last edited:
The Daily Reekord had a negative thing saying Connell looked off the pace of the game and 'lightweight'. I thought, like you, he looked good on the ball and was always willing to pick out a pass. A good debut for someone who obviously isn't fully match fit. I make many predictions and almost all of them turn out to be hilariously wrong, but I think in Connell we've got a cracker. I dunno what it is about him, but I love his confidence, his personality (seems like a lovely young laddie) and I think he's going to get stuck right into whatever opportunities he gets. The kind of player who will excel against Sevco if given a chance.
The guys first game and hes gettin slaughtered for a few stray passes ?sometimes a wonder if people watch the game properly .Hendersons gony be a big player for us ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see the game but it sounds as if it was a bit of a mixed bag and some slightly differing opinions from those of you who did watch it. I suppose we should remember that it's early days yet and hopefully there's more transfer business still to come.

The game doesn’t do anything other than reaffirm what Lenny already knew. We need two RB’s and even if no one leaves at least four arrivals of quality.

Its all opinions innit. Of the bhoys who are not first picks I thought Morgan Hayes and big Niro were good today.I thought Connell WAS a wee bit off the pace but looks a player as does big Christienne. Griff's gettin sharper and in truth it was a good run out for the rest and as for Anthony Ralston I thought he did okay but like Liam Morrison who's off to Bayern Munich because he doesn't see a future here we wont be content until we have completely demoralised our own young players ( but hey !! we're the greatest fans in the world are we not ??) We really do believe that pish

The Daily Reekord had a negative thing saying Connell looked off the pace of the game and 'lightweight'.

Consider the source . . . .

I thought, like you, he looked good on the ball and was always willing to pick out a pass. A good debut for someone who obviously isn't fully match fit. I make many predictions and almost all of them turn out to be hilariously wrong, but I think in Connell we've got a cracker. I dunno what it is about him, but I love his confidence, his personality (seems like a lovely young laddie) and I think he's going to get stuck right into whatever opportunities he gets. The kind of player who will excel against Sevco if given a chance.

You're right, Sam. He's a smart kid, talented, and I think he can be a star for the Hoops. Definitely a hunskelper in the making . . . .

The wee guy walks off, blesses himself and kisses the crest, in awe of his surrounding, he piches himself to say at fucking long last and knows he is in the right place.
Daily Record raging as another KT type fan/player is in the hoops and this only bodes well going forward.

Some people need to chill the fuck out.
Agreed Boab
Tony Ralston might not be the answer, but he's not as bad, as some people would make him out to be
He's been out with injuries and always gives 100% when he'spicked
Must be hard to read about 'how pish he is' and still go out and try to do a job
Maybe a loan spell, away from the pressure he's put under, will do him good and he'll come back stronger for the bhoys
I wouldn't write him off, but encourage him to keep going
HH

View attachment 3721

My view of the game.

The game was looked forward to by us all. Obviously most preferred to stream it illegally as the stadium

resembled the inside of a Hermits address book. Nonetheless, It would be a chance to see Luca and Julien and also see if our younger players could step up against better opposition than they faced on tour and received many plaudits for.

The game started well, with Griffiths looking sharp and in the mood. Early doors young Morgan looked up for it too. Younger Luca looked too eager and his passing was way off. It’s not just the Sevconians on the record who noticed it. What they failed to acknowledge was his willingness to try these type of passes. He will get there. And did improve as he calmed down.

After the first flurry of Griffiths this wasn’t maintained, not because Griff faded, it was due to the midfield failing to control the game and when they did have the ball, the service forward was piss poor.

Crosses into the box were nowhere to cause them problems. Not a single clear cut chance was created in the first half. Or if we did, I must have nodded off and missed it. At the back, Julien looked initially a bit rusty as is expected, he nearly caused a goal for them early second half, but his eye for a pass is clearly there and his positional sense improved as the game went on.

Hayes and Ralston at FB as always gave their all, but that isn’t enough and again their passing was poor in the main. Neither will do as full back. With Hayes not good enough in his preferred position him being back up LB worries me. Ralston just doesn’t have it, as brave as he us. I wish he was, but as yet he hasn’t been able to up his game. I feel he needs games and should be loaned out to see if he can improve.

First half fizzled out with Rennes in control but causing little trouble.

Second half was more of the same. Lack of movement, passes sideways and back with less penetration than in a Christian movie.

Felt for Griff as he was getting zero quality to feed on.

Until Calmac came on we lacked tempo and anybody prepared to take a player on and end it with an accurate pass.

I always feel these games are important, not for what they mean, more for any young player to set down a marker for the manager and apart from Henderson, who also disappeared for spells, none took that opportunity.

It’s easy to look good against pub teams. As I said Rennes are a decent outfit and for me we looked sluggish. It’s early in the season I hear you scream. Yes it is, but this is the only chance young players will get to stake a claim. They failed to show they have enough to secure a place in the team. That’s a pisser.

Pluses.

Morgan

Henderson

Julien, after a few wobbles.

Luca, passing was shit initially, but he got better and found a few good ones.

Griff, poor guy was left talking to the grass in French.

Reinforces the need to buy in quality.

Minuses.

I’ve mentioned them.

Plus, the thing that ruined the game most.

Step forward CelticTV and the utter fucking atrocious co commentators, who never shut up, talk for minutes at a time about fuck all, and NEVER FUCKING SHUT UP. Jesus Christ I ended up having to mute today’s guy. Utterly boring.

Does every boring, monotoned cunt, working at The View get a shot at it? Imagine sharing an office with them? Day in, day out?

I’m getting drunk now. It’s Saturday and I need to banish the thought of working with the View Co Comatose team.

Its all opinions innit. Of the bhoys who are not first picks I thought Morgan Hayes and big Niro were good today.I thought Connell WAS a wee bit off the pace but looks a player as does big Christienne. Griff's gettin sharper and in truth it was a good run out for the rest and as for Anthony Ralston I thought he did okay but like Liam Morrison who's off to Bayern Munich because he doesn't see a future here we wont be content until we have completely demoralised our own young players ( but hey !! we're the greatest fans in the world are we not ??) We really do believe that pish
Fucking spot on Ultra !!
Rips ma knitting when people start slagging the young Bhoys, or any Celtic player who's out there, trying hard to make the team
Wee Luca is going to be a great player, Lenny and staff will watch over him and he'll repay them/us in spades
Lewis Morgan looks as though he's determined to show he's got the stuff to merit being on the team sheet
I thought Anothony Ralston hardly put a foot wrong, big Nero was steady at the back & for his first game, big Jullien, looks a player
Good to see Griff back, once the service is a bit better, he'll fill the net for us
Honestly, not even one game in and the moany mob are out in force
We'll get a right back in, but for now, get behind young Ralston
It's not too much to ask from Celtic supporters
HH

Last edited:
Back