Champions League Qualifier - FC Midtjylland

Who will progress to the next round of the Champions League

• Celtic

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Midtjylland

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
Our first competitive game of the season - not a easy one! IF we progress it will be a huge boost to the squad and Ange's start to his Celtic's manager reign. To reach the next round will be a positive start to the season.

FC Midtjylland played their first competitive game of the season yesterday and lost at home to OB, 1-2. Highlights below.

OB finished the regular Danish league last year in 8th place with just 7 wins (Midtjylland finished second winning 13 games out of 22). The league then split with another 10 games. Midtjylland finished second winning 5 games out of the next 10 (against top 6). OB went on to finish 9th winning just 4 out of the next 10 (against bottom 6)

From watching some of their preseason games, they seem quite soft at the back and have conceeded quite a few times from corners. Midtjylland's patchy form seems to have carried on from last season. I'm feeling a bit more positive going into this very hard game.

Can we make through, and which is the best way for us to set up for Midtjylland?
The one thing I am pleased to say is at least we have a manager who is capable of trying to get the best out of the team /squad it might be a little bit more anxious than I think it should be, but actually having a mgr/coach that is a good honest professional could see us progress faster than we imagined, brings me hope. HH

Went into tonight's game without knowing what to really expect and ended up disappointed that we never got the winning result that we truly deserved.
When you think we still had 3 players who are nowhere good enough to wear the Jersey, Taylor even though his workrate remains impressive, his quality in the final third is still badly lacking, and 2 want aways even with Christie being magnificent.
That now is well over half a team short of where Ange would like us to be.
It also puts into context just how fantastic, many of the other players were.
In with a great opportunity still to progress, hopefully with a few changes for next week.
With the new players to still come in, and a wonderful example Murray has set now by taking an opportunity when the situation arises, the future is looking very rosie indeed.
Everything from last season wasn't going to be fixed overnight, but tonight showed we are well and truly back on the right road again with big improvements still required in certain positions.
Think Christie showed enough to warrant a hefty new contract also, question now is weather he wants that or not?

The one thing I am pleased to say is at least we have a manager who is capable of trying to get the best out of the team /squad it might be a little bit more anxious than I think it should be, but actually having a mgr/coach that is a good honest professional could see us progress faster than we imagined, brings me hope. HH
As a ps, I am more optimistic for the future than I have been for a while could Ap and Dom be the future of our club. HH

Went into tonight's game without knowing what to really expect and ended up disappointed that we never got the winning result that we truly deserved.
When you think we still had 3 players who are nowhere good enough to wear the Jersey, Taylor even though his workrate remains impressive, his quality in the final third is still badly lacking, and 2 want aways even with Christie being magnificent.
That now is well over half a team short of where Ange would like us to be.
It also puts into context just how fantastic, many of the other players were.
In with a great opportunity still to progress, hopefully with a few changes for next week.
With the new players to still come in, and a wonderful example Murray has set now by taking an opportunity when the situation arises, the future is looking very rosie indeed.
Everything from last season wasn't going to be fixed overnight, but tonight showed we are well and truly back on the right road again with big improvements still required in certain positions.
Think Christie showed enough to warrant a hefty new contract also, question now is weather he wants that or not?
Sorry John but maybe with AP as coach players like Taylor, who I believe is onto a flogging because he is not KT, has the chance to improve and become an integral part of the team, its hard to replace the best left back in Europe, so I will not be to harsh on him. If you can suggest a player of the same quality as KT, who we can afford please let me know, yes we have a young lad who, might be the long term replacement, but in the meantime we have to rely on an honest pro who can be coached to be a reliable team player. HH

Sorry John but maybe with AP as coach players like Taylor, who I believe is onto a flogging because he is not KT, has the chance to improve and become an integral part of the team, its hard to replace the best left back in Europe, so I will not be to harsh on him. If you can suggest a player of the same quality as KT, who we can afford please let me know, yes we have a young lad who, might be the long term replacement, but in the meantime we have to rely on an honest pro who can be coached to be a reliable team player. HH
Not saying at all mancbhoy we should be looking to out Taylor far from it.
All I'm saying is that we can in time get someone who offers us better quality and prefer Monty as a player
before Taylor.
Even though Taylor looks a more improved player than last season, still think he is very limited to certain aspects of his play still, and would quite gladly still loved to be proven wrong.

Having said that John, tonights result has definitely boosted my hopes for this season, I f the board continues to back AP, with signings I can only see a vast improvement of the squad and with AP,'s history of development of young players, it might be possible that if successful he might be interested in the long term post of DoF, but that's for future. HH

Not saying at all mancbhoy we should be looking to out Taylor far from it.
All I'm saying is that we can in time get someone who offers us better quality and prefer Monty as a player
before Taylor.
Even though Taylor looks a more improved player than last season, still think he is very limited to certain aspects of his play still, and would quite gladly still loved to be proven wrong.
One other thing John, all successful teams have, unglamorous, players, great teams are very seldom made up of 11 superstars. The Lisbon lions were a team not 11 superstars, although I can't really state which of the eleven wasn't a star, perhaps Craig, Clark, even Wallace, even so I cannot go through the team, without thinking I'm wrong, I just can't separate the players from the team, the finest team ever. HH

Taylor gets a lot of heat, because people can't get over the fact that KT left and comparisons abound
Wee Taylor is a decent player, he always played well against us and the Zombies and that'swhy we signed him
He never shirks a tackle is always willing to go forward and runs every blade of grass for the team
Watch him and his positioning when some goes forward, he fills in and usually gets an interception or pressures the guy with the ball
Plus, he's from Greenock and that's as close to legendary status, as you can get :D

Mon the wee man
YNWA

Taylor gets a lot of heat, because people can't get over the fact that KT left and comparisons abound
Wee Taylor is a decent player, he always played well against us and the Zombies and that'swhy we signed him
He never shirks a tackle is always willing to go forward and runs every blade of grass for the team
Watch him and his positioning when some goes forward, he fills in and usually gets an interception or pressures the guy with the ball
Plus, he's from Greenock and that's as close to legendary status, as you can get :D

Mon the wee man
YNWA
Total agreement, 👍HH.

Mon the wee man
YNWA
Just don't get him, never thought he was good enough for us, most of his crosses get blocked & just never thought of him as good enough in the role we need him to play in, not comparing him to KT.

Just don't get him, never thought he was good enough for us, most of his crosses get blocked & just never thought of him as good enough in the role we need him to play in, not comparing him to KT.
Opinions, are like assholes, everybody's got one
He gets slagged by a lot of people who have never played the game, except maybe online
It's easily seen by the comments on some of the sites
He's a fullback, and he's being asked to play in a system where fullbacks are supposed to be wingers as well, and he does pretty well
It's what he does off the ball, that's just as important, he shows for the ball, he chases back and tries to win the ball back
As I said, opinions
I think we'll beat them next week, we've got the Bhoys to do it

HH

Had the chances to win the game and didn't take them, keeper and Bitton let us down nd that referee was easy on them yet seemed to blow for the slightest thing with us
Some strange decisions from that ref and linesman today
How did he not notice the guy was a mile offside when he ran in goal and went down inside the box ? He was literally a yard away from him and did nothing
The elbows were flying in from the Danes, and nothing done, and then when he could have played the advantage, he blows for a foul for us
Barkas, is not up to the job, evident by his performance today, shocking

HH

What a performance bet not many people were expecting that tonight I know I wasn't,thought the young guys did great, and at last there was a buzz about the place only let down was Barkas, should have saved it. The full-backs tried their hearts out but they just don't have it at this level get the right players and we could be going places under Ange I am really starting to get a wee bit hopeful for this season. BTW. Calmac and Corpus were outstanding
Christie has got to get his corners higher and his shots lower.
He has been doing this all last season.
One of the negatives of Turnbull being taken off,
we lose all hope of a goal from a corner when Christie takes them.

Members online

Latest posts

Back