Cost of Living Crisis

Magnificent 7

Household incomes are on course to collapse by the highest figure since the mid-1970s after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent energy prices soaring to new highs
The dramatic increase in global oil and gas is forecast to push UK inflation above 8% this spring, causing average incomes across Britain to fall by 4% in the coming financial year – a hit worth £1,000 per household, the biggest annual decline since 1975.
Not withstanding the effect of the pandemic I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and poses a serious financial crisis to us all which will require some serious budgeting adjustments for most.
Might be worth keeping a thread to share information with each other on support available as we go through the challenges ahead.
Community food shops,budgeting ideas etc anything really that we think can help.
Appreciate this is a football thread but just an idea In these extraordinary times.

Household incomes are on course to collapse by the highest figure since the mid-1970s after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent energy prices soaring to new highs
The dramatic increase in global oil and gas is forecast to push UK inflation above 8% this spring, causing average incomes across Britain to fall by 4% in the coming financial year – a hit worth £1,000 per household, the biggest annual decline since 1975.
Not withstanding the effect of the pandemic I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and poses a serious financial crisis to us all which will require some serious budgeting adjustments for most.
Might be worth keeping a thread to share information with each other on support available as we go through the challenges ahead.
Community food shops,budgeting ideas etc anything really that we think can help.
Appreciate this is a football thread but just an idea In these extraordinary times.
It is a football forum, Mag7 but it's good that we have the General Chat thread where we can share issues that aren't Celtic related.
Good shout.

I'm sure we all know that the expected price hike from your energy company is expected to be around 54% from the 1st April and a further 24% in October.
That is gonna be a shock to us all when you see your new bills.
Hopefully Spring sees a return to decent temperatures and weather.
Make sure you get accurate meter readings on 31st March to ensure you are not getting overcharged at the new price hike rates when your next bill comes in.
Maybe look into how you can reduce energy usage re temp controls on both boilers and thermostats.
My main priority will be to save money elsewhere to offset some of the impact of this price increase in energy.

Here in glesga you wouldn’t know there was a crisis!!on top of electricity and gas prices going up our council tax is also going up!!just as the snp council announce there gonny put lights in three city parks???wtf is wrong way this picture??all because some girl from the trendy west end couldn’t walk threw kelvinside park at night!!during the summit!!who apart from pervs,an muggers wants to walk threw a park at night,,aswell just opening the council windows and throwing the cash out🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️P.s before a start getting bombarded way anti shit a have six sisters two daughters six sister in laws,,countless female friends??also have a lot of family that that money could get put to better use with??

Here in glesga you wouldn’t know there was a crisis!!on top of electricity and gas prices going up our council tax is also going up!!just as the snp council announce there gonny put lights in three city parks???wtf is wrong way this picture??all because some girl from the trendy west end couldn’t walk threw kelvinside park at night!!during the summit!!who apart from pervs,an muggers wants to walk threw a park at night,,aswell just opening the council windows and throwing the cash out🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️P.s before a start getting bombarded way anti shit a have six sisters two daughters six sister in laws,,countless female friends??also have a lot of family that that money could get put to better use with??
No bombardment from me mate....i
WILL I BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE £150 COUNCIL TAX REBATE?
Around 80% of English households and 73% of Scottish households will benefit, but it will depend on which council tax bracket you are in.
Everyone in bands A to D in England and Scotland will get the rebate.
Not much but we need to take anything we can get.

The Americans are already well into the cost of living crisis. I was shocked at the price of food in the US when I was there at Christmas.
Bread a fiver, milk £6 and that’s without sales tax.
If the same happens here a lot of people will struggle.
Energy costs to rise by 54%.
I will vote for anyone saying they will re-nationalise the energy company’s. It’s vital for modern life. Certain things are far too important to be run by business people.
Energy, Water, Healthcare and Education should be run as public services.

Ironically I feel in the long term this could hurt the energy companies. People will go into automatic energy saving mode where before I think a lot of us had got a wee bit lax on it. It will be like being back when you stayed at yir maws and got screamed at if you left a light on 😀

Gas was under £1 a therm this time last year, now it's £4.30 and was £8.00 2 days ago.

Gas was under £1 a therm this time last year, now it's £4.30 and was £8.00 2 days ago.

I seen that Brim re therm price...most of us domestically if not already there will be moving to £200 a month for Gas & Electricity.

Couple of things I've already done.
Made sure I'm not on automatic renewal for basic stuff like home and car insurance and other subscriptions.
E.G. Two new automatic renewal quotes already this year they tried to increase by £70 and £80 respectively
I know alot of us dont take the time to look at this but I simply looked at comparison sites online and switched to actually get it cheaper than last year for both.
Broadband and telephone packages are similar all be it on contracts but again if you take the time and challenge your existing providers there are deals to be had.

Sadly this was predicted by the Miners Leader and the Unions in the late 80’s
When your country imports it’s Energy which back then was cheap and Thatch had decided to use it for her own purposes
We sold gas phone and Nuclear power to all and sundry. The French EDF own Nuclear we as a country own nothing our Energy policy is on the Etonian Hoof.
Labour hasn’t covered there selves in any Glory.
And when you have a monopoly like,the old saying When you have them by the balls you squeeze.
Now, and not just the poorest face an energy crisis the likes not seen for a while
Heat or Eat it is 2022 ?

HH 😞

So here we are in the 21st century being forced to live as if we were in the dark ages.

Yet the irony is, is that in terms of minerals/ore, natural fresh water, untapped gas lines, carbon fuel, wind energy, hydro electricity and even some reserves of oil - we in Scotland are so positive that we need to suck off of the English tit to somehow survive????

Rich called it right...........Once we start looking inwards and having the confidence to do it our way (independently), then we can nationalise and regulate our power grid to fit our needs.

Add into that equation - our livestock, freshwater fishing, ocean fishing, game and arable farming - then we would be able to thrive and prosper without exorbitant importing/trade deals or a necessity to depend on others.

Unfortunately - we live in a land where low-level, low-IQ imbeciles believe that we need Westminster and Windsor to flourish.

Go figure?

Aw the Green Party are keeping their heids doon, wee greeta thomberg hasn’t telt us whit tae dae,
Get rid o aw the nuclear and coal power stations, stop oil exploration in the North Sea….
Noo ma utilities bill is gonna be more a month than the mortgage…..better turn ma hot tub doon a couple o degrees 😱

Aw the Green Party are keeping their heids doon, wee greeta thomberg hasn’t telt us whit tae dae,
Get rid o aw the nuclear and coal power stations, stop oil exploration in the North Sea….
Noo ma utilities bill is gonna be more a month than the mortgage…..better turn ma hot tub doon a couple o degrees 😱
Hot tub???? Have you been boiling water for the sink again, Bb?

Latest posts

Back