Disturbing News if there’s anything in it

I think it's only fair to add that I am an affirmed apologist for the board.

It's not that I entirely condone their practices or politics, but I just can't see a viable alternative to what we currently have in situ.

It's exactly the same sentiment that I applied to the permanent Manager's post. I just couldn't see an affordable viable option that wouldn't want to try and rip it up and start again.

The stakes are too high and it would be sheer folly to pin our hopes on someone who may not be fully invested, or who is more interested in their own inflated ego.

I appreciate that it would appear that I am prepared to stick on 17, but I'd rather exercise caution than twist on a 20.

I rest my case on the value of our contributors.

Pragmatism and hope aren't necessarily bad bedfellows. I think most of us are aware that there are definitely internal issues that need to be addressed and a Director of Football may well be the buffer we need.

Earlier comments will show that I was highly sceptical of this type of role, but enlightened posts and counter-arguments have changed my opinion and I believe that it takes the strain off the relationship between Manager and CEO.

I don't know what the actual dynamic between Buck and Pete was, but it seems fairly evident, with hindsight, that there were some irreconcilable differences. I feel a DoF at this point may be ideal to ease fraying nerves in what will be a stormy ride next season.
I know I bang on about John Park but there are a few reasons why. He knows the Club and has a good relationship with both manager and Chief exec already. He has an eye not just for first team players but also youth all the way back to Motherwell and Hibs. he knows the Scottish game and he has good contacts. He also finds the value that fits the boards model for immediate use and resale value. He can hit the ground running. No bedding in time required. I'm open to alternatives but given how important it is to get started for me it would be THE big signing of the summer.

I think it's only fair to add that I am an affirmed apologist for the board.

It's not that I entirely condone their practices or politics, but I just can't see a viable alternative to what we currently have in situ.

It's exactly the same sentiment that I applied to the permanent Manager's post. I just couldn't see an affordable viable option that wouldn't want to try and rip it up and start again.

The stakes are too high and it would be sheer folly to pin our hopes on someone who may not be fully invested, or who is more interested in their own inflated ego.

I appreciate that it would appear that I am prepared to stick on 17, but I'd rather exercise caution than twist on a 20.
(y) Spot on. It's a summer for common sense approaches to staff and players. I also rate our board (in most things) to be decent custodians but there a few key areas they need a nudge on, complacency has set in because the squad have done so well

I know I bang on about John Park but there are a few reasons why. He knows the Club and has a good relationship with both manager and Chief exec already. He has an eye not just for first team players but also youth all the way back to Motherwell and Hibs. he knows the Scottish game and he has good contacts. He also finds the value that fits the boards model for immediate use and resale value. He can hit the ground running. No bedding in time required. I'm open to alternatives but given how important it is to get started for me it would be THE big signing of the summer.
I couldn't agree more, Niall, I believe that he might just be our biggest recruitment if he gets the call.

The strike rate for Head Scouts isn't particularly high. There are too many variables to consider accurately, but John Park's success rate was at least 50%, and I'll wager that that's at least 10 percentage points higher than his contemporaries.

I couldn't agree more, Niall, I believe that he might just be our biggest recruitment if he gets the call.

The strike rate for Head Scouts isn't particularly high. There are too many variables to consider accurately, but John Park's success rate was at least 50%, and I'll wager that that's at least 10 percentage points higher than his contemporaries.
(y) At least!
Read a book a few years back by a brilliant author Michael Calvin called 'The Nowhere men' about scouting from grass roots all the way to head of recruitment. Really good read and great insight into a tough job. One thing was clear the contacts get you so far. The genuine eye for not only the player but how they might develop is an art, which one have already peaked, which ones have a way to go. I think Park is a natural. he may not have the head for the negotiations so maybe a head of recruitment would suit as opposed to a DOF but he's got that nous for sure

Did the club not do the dirty on Park last time he was at the club

i.e got blamed for alot of the players who came to nothing Amido , Pukki (who went on to be not bad )

might be wrong but then it's close season let the mud slinging begin
I'll be honest I'm not sure how it came about, but I heard they had parted on good terms. It was Rodgers who wanted his own man and not a DOF. I think Park wanted DOF rather than just Chief Scout. If thats the case a Head of Recruitment role minus the contractual negotiation part might be a good middle ground. If it was a Rodgers inspired decision to let him go there could be a way back. It would also tie in with Rodgers lack of eye for a player. He can improve them for sure, just not convinced he can spot them

Listen to The Celtic Underground Podcast and read their excellent article on this subject. Contrast with exactly one year ago when they had a podcast with special guest....Peter Lawwell. Best buddy stuff to fiercest critic. Whatever happened?
Ach, you'll never make it in the espionage game, WC!

You snapped like a dry kit-kat under barely any duress at all.

I know Shammy has a formidable reputation, but at least let her make you suffer for a wee while.

Don't read any of the blogs or sites regular to know which if any have any extra insight to the boardroom. I know as a very small shareholder for over 20 years I have no extra idea what goes on. I don't read it but doubt the annual reports offer any extra or special insight.

Bloggers by nature write for attention in a throw away medium, so some if not most just invent or regurgitate any auld shyte, the supposed 'more in-the-know' ones! notice how they make use of unnamed supposed in-the-know 'third parties', to add credence to their creative writing.
Only thing I know worth even thinking about is the players and the manager, saw from day 1 that toljan was shyte and took confidence that Lenny appears to have noticed a lot sooner than Rodgers.

Even the talk of John park! do any of us, do you actually know more than just a photo claiming to be him? Do we know for certain it was him and not another team member, 'i've read at least two different former employees take the actual credit for spotting Van Dyke.
point being we assume so much from so little evidence, Does Compper even exist?

Don't read any of the blogs or sites regular to know which if any have any extra insight to the boardroom. I know as a very small shareholder for over 20 years I have no extra idea what goes on. I don't read it but doubt the annual reports offer any extra or special insight.

Bloggers by nature write for attention in a throw away medium, so some if not most just invent or regurgitate any auld shyte, the supposed 'more in-the-know' ones! notice how they make use of unnamed supposed in-the-know 'third parties', to add credence to their creative writing.
Only thing I know worth even thinking about is the players and the manager, saw from day 1 that toljan was shyte and took confidence that Lenny appears to have noticed a lot sooner than Rodgers.

Even the talk of John park! do any of us, do you actually know more than just a photo claiming to be him? Do we know for certain it was him and not another team member, 'i've read at least two different former employees take the actual credit for spotting Van Dyke.
point being we assume so much from so little evidence, Does Compper even exist?

Compper even got himself on T.V. at the cup final, Jim. Just the wage thief proving that he really does exist. He'll probably haunt the treatment room even after he's long gone.

Someone on our supporters bus WhatsApp group last night was slating Lenny for losing that league in his first full season - when we lost up at Inverness to effectively throw it away.

I pointed out that Big Billy when he was manager the first time threw away at least two league titles - one in 1980 when we were well ahead. We even got pumped 5-1 up at Dens Park! And the year Dundee Utd won the league. We just needed a draw, they had 10 men, it was 2-2 at Celtic Park, just see it out....then just like against Partizan Belgrade...

But Lenny lost a title so criticise him...

Lenny lost a title to an, let's be honest, Old Rangers team that is much, much, much more strong than anything Sevco has yet to muster in its 7 year history. It wasn't the best side they've ever had, but it contained the likes of Naismith, Davis, Miller, Bougherra in their prime. As well as players like Jelavic and Vladimir Weiss. And with a very strong manager in Walter Smith. Not fucking Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha or Slippy Gerrard.

Our team under Rodgers, and I'm not now indulging a reverse of the mentality of the anti-Lennon ideologues by undermining our achievements under Rodgers, was pumping fuck oot o awful Sevco sides led by donkeys. Let's be honest about that. Lenny, in that league campaign where we LOST BY ONE POINT, pumped that Old Rangers side 2 - 0 at Ibrox and then 3 - 0 at Celtic Park, with the last result against them being a draw at Ibrox. And that was the last of the 'proper' Rangers sides (running into the next season). So the amount of revisionism and delusion among those determined to see Lennon as an awful manager is huge.

If my memory serves, it was a 3-2 away loss to Caley Thistle that done us that season.
I also have nightmares about the Motherwell game after we humped the huns 3-0.

Charlie Mulgrew had a couple of brainfarts that day and we got easily beaten 2-zip.

Feckin league cup was a bit of a mess too........a treble was on and because of complacency, we only ended up with the Scottish.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back