Green brigade songbook

No-one plays a dirtier game than the British Anton, no-one.

Our Green Brigade should be hero worshipped in my opinion. They are not a bunch of neds, they are a well organised bunch of professional people drawing attention to political unjust brutality throughout the centuries.

They have more charity in their fingertips than most people have in their bodies.

They strive for change, thats what makes them political.

They are the backbone of our support and defo our teams 12th man.

They bring entertainment and showmanship to our games and im extremely proud of them.

I hate the way the huns try and target them ah mean they are not union bear neds.

I hate it even more when i hear our fans being disrepectful and whingeing about them, for me thats worse.

We are family. HH ☘️

"We are family"

Do you know a family that doesn't have disagreements.

I don't and wouldn't want to be part of one!

Doesn't mean we don't love the family we belong to, does it?

"We are family"

Do you know a family that doesn't have disagreements.

I don't and wouldn't want to be part of one!

Doesn't mean we don't love the family we belong to, does it?

Exactly Anton, and i respect you and your opinion. Its tough growing up in Scotland being the second class citizens and being kept out of jobs for being catholic.

Thats how my opinion is different im a product of the environment.

But i don’t slate your opinion on this in fact it brings more to the table for me.

As i can see two sides and moderate slightly.

HH pal. ☘️

I don’t think anybody would argue that the GB bring colour and create a good atmosphere. I just prefer them bouncing to Celtic songs. They are not above criticism though. No one involved with Celtic at any capacity is. We represent our club as supporters and hopefully conduct ourselves with the best interest of the club, not ourselves. Not our political affiliations if they are at odds with what’s best for the image and good name of the club.

I feel they cross the line with the Ira sings and Palestinian support. They are using the club as a vehicle to promote their own agenda. I don’t have a problem with anyone’s political agenda, but if it undermines Celtic, then it’s an act of political selfishness.

It’s what they want and if Celtic don’t like it...

The club has consistently for over 20 years asked fans to stop singing these songs. Now, fuck bows I don’t agree with the board often, but on this I do. It is damaging. It does cause a negative impression from fans all over the place.

Now as I have said in the other thread, be political, get involved, fight your fight, but please be mindful of the forces ragibgvagainst us and don’t give them the opportunity to deflect.

I know my wishes will fall on deaf ears, but they have to know countless thousands would rather all fans at games, this isn’t just a GB situation by any means, sing Celtic songs. It inspires the team more than the BBB. That’s my view in it all.

Have to agree with Anton ... there are are good and bad sides to the Green Brigade . They are , at their best a colourful , vibrant and genuine breath of fresh air . I loved some of their banners - witty and cheeky and with just the right amount of devilry .

However , like all of us they are not perfect , and like all of us they can be the last people to see their own faults . I have said on here before that I understand the history behind some of the songs sung at Parkhead - some of which I have sung myself . But football is entertainment . Yes , some seek to use it as a political football ( sorry about the pun ) , but to my mind there are other more fruitful ways of making political points , whether about UK politics or Palestine or a myriad of other 'causes' that we could equate with those championed by the Green Brigade .
We cannot fight for every minority that has/is suffering in this world . So let us , at the football direct our energies to supporting our team without other distractions , and if you are passionately driven to plead a cause , do it , but why does it have to be at the football ?

Horsemen of the apocolypse was my ultimate favourite.

Have to agree with Anton ... there are are good and bad sides to the Green Brigade . They are , at their best a colourful , vibrant and genuine breath of fresh air . I loved some of their banners - witty and cheeky and with just the right amount of devilry .

However , like all of us they are not perfect , and like all of us they can be the last people to see their own faults . I have said on here before that I understand the history behind some of the songs sung at Parkhead - some of which I have sung myself . But football is entertainment . Yes , some seek to use it as a political football ( sorry about the pun ) , but to my mind there are other more fruitful ways of making political points , whether about UK politics or Palestine or a myriad of other 'causes' that we could equate with those championed by the Green Brigade .
We cannot fight for every minority that has/is suffering in this world . So let us , at the football direct our energies to supporting our team without other distractions , and if you are passionately driven to plead a cause , do it , but why does it have to be at the football ?

More exposure

No-one plays a dirtier game than the British Anton, no-one.

Our Green Brigade should be hero worshipped in my opinion. They are not a bunch of neds, they are a well organised bunch of professional people drawing attention to political unjust brutality throughout the centuries.

They have more charity in their fingertips than most people have in their bodies.

They strive for change, thats what makes them political.

They are the backbone of our support and defo our teams 12th man.

They bring entertainment and showmanship to our games and im extremely proud of them.

I hate the way the huns try and target them ah mean they are not union bear neds.

I hate it even more when i hear our fans being disrepectful and whingeing about them, for me thats worse.

We are family. HH ☘️

Maria,

There were some dirty bastards in the PIRA.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the dirty war was a one way operation.

As far as I can see is those who, shall we say, are most 'vocal' seem to believe they speak with a God given right to 'dictate' to us what should be sung at CP.

It's not up for debate, in fact, it appears to be anti-Celtic to consider objectivity when discussing the GB!

All I can say to you is this:

1: Whether you agree with me or not, I find the singing/chanting of pro-IRA songs at CP to be as embarrassing as they are unnecessary.

2: The GB believe that have the right to do/sing what they like. Fuck you if you disagree with them; I'll let you insert your own interpretation/word that would describe such a grouping.

3: Many outside Celtic, some even outside football, associate us with with the PIRA. I find that sad.

4: I'm sick to death of being told how wonderful the GB are from those who follow them with blind loyalty. To me, those are the people with the most to answer for ...they enable the GB to act with impunity.

Have I failed to recognise the work the GB do for society? No, I haven't.

Do I believe they have serious flaws? Yes, in the same way that any grouping that involves human beings shall always have flaws.

If anyone on this thread believes we're discussing a group of Jesus' desciples then it's time you took your head out of the sand and started to think for yourself.

To those who reply and give me a shitload of bolloxs about British Poppy's or any other garbage, let me assure you of this, I have covered, in detail, my views on the British. I don't need to do so again.

If you are going to give me, "we'll sing them anyway" two year old, idiotic and moronic replies just don't waste your breath. You are exactly the people none of us who seek change for the better shall ever want to listen to. Might as well tell the DUP that Brexit isn't really a good idea for the North - they'll tell me to fuck off as I'd rather starve to death wrapped up in the Butcher's Apron!

Hope that explains my viewpoint more clearly ?

Maria,

There were some dirty bastards in the PIRA.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the dirty war was a one way operation.

As far as I can see is those who, shall we say, are most 'vocal' seem to believe they speak with a God given right to 'dictate' to us what should be sung at CP.

It's not up for debate, in fact, it appears to be anti-Celtic to consider objectivity when discussing the GB!

All I can say to you is this:

1: Whether you agree with me or not, I find the singing/chanting of pro-IRA songs at CP to be as embarrassing as they are unnecessary.

2: The GB believe that have the right to do/sing what they like. Fuck you if you disagree with them; I'll let you insert your own interpretation/word that would describe such a grouping.

3: Many outside Celtic, some even outside football, associate us with with the PIRA. I find that sad.

4: I'm sick to death of being told how wonderful the GB are from those who follow them with blind loyalty. To me, those are the people with the most to answer for ...they enable the GB to act with impunity.

Have I failed to recognise the work the GB do for society? No, I haven't.

Do I believe they have serious flaws? Yes, in the same way that any grouping that involves human beings shall always have flaws.

If anyone on this thread believes we're discussing a group of Jesus' desciples then it's time you took your head out of the sand and started to think for yourself.

To those who reply and give me a shitload of bolloxs about British Poppy's or any other garbage, let me assure you of this, I have covered, in detail, my views on the British. I don't need to do so again.

If you are going to give me, "we'll sing them anyway" two year old, idiotic and moronic replies just don't waste your breath. You are exactly the people none of us who seek change for the better shall ever want to listen to. Might as well tell the DUP that Brexit isn't really a good idea for the North - they'll tell me to fuck off as I'd rather starve to death wrapped up in the Butcher's Apron!

Hope that explains my viewpoint more clearly ?

I will never acknowledge the butchers apron.

My Country for all its faults has a beautiful Saltire. This is my flag.

I would never be wrapped in the butchers apron.

Bit of background for whoever who cares.

My fella and i just celebrated 20 years together, he isn’t Catholic nor a Celtic fan although he does say mon the hoops lol.

He is the best man i have ever met in my life, he is the best partner i have the best and he is the best father in the world imo.

It was important to me that my faith be passed to my 3 sons, because when i felt isolated by parents and had nowhere to go my faith gave me so much comfort.

I tried to get each of my sons into football none of them are into it. Thats cool by me.

None of my children could tell you the words of a rebel tune depite me knowing them all.

Two sides can provide respect, dictators garner none imo.

Just saying HH bhoys & ghirls

Yeah pretty much that im a blind idiot incapable of thinking for myself.

Loud & clear bro.

I still respect your right to your opinion, this is a forum full of them afterall.

HH Ant
I will never acknowledge the butchers apron.

My Country for all its faults has a beautiful Saltire. This is my flag.

I would never be wrapped in the butchers apron.

Bit of background for whoever who cares.

My fella and i just celebrated 20 years together, he isn’t Catholic nor a Celtic fan although he does say mon the hoops lol.

He is the best man i have ever met in my life, he is the best partner i have the best and he is the best father in the world imo.

It was important to me that my faith be passed to my 3 sons, because when i felt isolated by parents and had nowhere to go my faith gave me so much comfort.

I tried to get each of my sons into football none of them are into it. Thats cool by me.

None of my children could tell you the words of a rebel tune depite me knowing them all.

Two sides can provide respect, dictators garner none imo.

Just saying HH bhoys & ghirls

Maria, please don't take this the wrong way ... I've never understood women and never will.

I find this post is so far removed from the way you portray yourself in previous ones that it is difficult to decipher what you believe to be right, wrong or up for debate.

Also, like others who profess undying gratitude to all variations of the IRA, there is such a conflict of belief and reality from you that confuses me ... doesn't take much.

In early posts, all of those who start defending the right to sing these songs seem to come to an agreement that not all agree with them and also agree they can be viewed as being 'divisive'.

That's debate!

Obviously we have those who aren't open to hearing different opinions. That isn't even sad, it's pathetic (to me, of course!),

What I dislike most about the GB - and I'll keep stating it - is that they are undemocratic and fail to take on board any opinion they disagree with.

That, again to me, is as far removed from the true ideals of Celtic values as one can get.

(Please forgive a man trying to understand a woman properly - isn't going to happen with me involved ?)

Maria, please don't take this the wrong way ... I've never understood women and never will.

I find this post is so far removed from the way you portray yourself in previous ones that it is difficult to decipher what you believe to be right, wrong or up for debate.

Also, like others who profess undying gratitude to all variations of the IRA, there is such a conflict of belief and reality from you that confuses me ... doesn't take much.

In early posts, all of those who start defending the right to sing these songs seem to come to an agreement that not all agree with them and also agree they can be viewed as being 'divisive'.

That's debate!

Obviously we have those who aren't open to hearing different opinions. That isn't even sad, it's pathetic (to me, of course!),

What I dislike most about the GB - and I'll keep stating it - is that they are undemocratic and fail to take on board any opinion they disagree with.

That, again to me, is as far removed from the true ideals of Celtic values as one can get.

(Please forgive a man trying to understand a woman properly - isn't going to happen with me involved ?)

No harm or offence taken, you see i already know we are proper friends.

On my maternal side my grandmother catholic had a really tough life. She met and married her beau. A presbyterian who’s family disowned him for marrying a Catholic for 60 years!!!

They both brought their 11 children (my mum one) Catholic.

My grandfather born in an ayrshire farm with his grandfathers stonemasons was sent to maryhill when he was an infant to prepare for prep school.

He met my gran and well love is love.

My hometown has an engineering company well known for not hiring catholics but my grandfather, an engineer and a presbyterian had no problem because they didnt know he was rearing 11 catholics.

My gran used to ensure those in the community regardless of faith had in times of need. I .e if there was a death in someones family she cooked and sent it down for the household for a fortnight over the wake funeral etc. My gran used to ensure they had everything from the sheets for the mirrors to the windows. That the household had suits and dress for the funeral and also emotional assistance. After looking after her own household.

I know how shoddily my ancesters were treated when we came here from Ireland.

Catholics were booted out of school because we were horrible catholics. Rome through parishes set up and maintained our schooling before the govt eventually relented and provided funding latterly up to half. Before eventually all in they had to. Now the protestants that didnt want us in their schools now want our good education. Yet some are so bitter they still to this day wish to deny us of faith education.

You know that catholics were not allowed to read ir write yeah.

Irish might have left ireland 1840’s to 1860’s in their droves however although we could eat (my ancestors) we had to work ten times harder than anyone else for a third of the pay.

There were mostly the catholics need not apply boards.

Now no-one tells our black american brothers to move on how they were treated but its open season and always has been on us.

I bring mines up to respect everyone and judge individuals rather than generalisations in other words i have told them everyone is truly worthy or potentially truly worthy of friendship, faith , non-faith or any other differences my sons should judge people as individuals a cnut is a cnut regardless of colour or creed. Etc.

I treat people as individuals. My mums dad raised 11 catholics and loved my gran. He chucked them out to mass and if they didnt know gospel when they got in he hammered them for clearly dogging it. He could also sing the *ash apparantley. My gran was too ribbon bearer in hibs walk back in the day.

I understand and support the reasons why the ra came to be. NOT WHAT THEY BECAME LATTERLY. Oppressed people can only be oppressed for so long.

And you are doing ok speaking to females Anton, pal. Never ever do yourself down brother i and the rest of our family love you.

We are family. HH x ☘️X ??

to sing or not to sing,this land is my land,woody Guthrie,strange fruit billie halliday,the fish cheer,country joe McDonald,give Ireland back to the irish,john lennon (hhmmm, on that one) grace, the Celtic fan's, not getting into the debate about the right songs or the wrong songs, some are uplifting,some are considered offensive, sometimes there is a right place, or wrong,for that matter,we are musical people and love our songs,appropriateness, what is" appropriate" and when, jist sayin HH

No harm or offence taken, you see i already know we are proper friends.

On my maternal side my grandmother catholic had a really tough life. She met and married her beau. A presbyterian who’s family disowned him for marrying a Catholic for 60 years!!!

They both brought their 11 children (my mum one) Catholic.

My grandfather born in an ayrshire farm with his grandfathers stonemasons was sent to maryhill when he was an infant to prepare for prep school.

He met my gran and well love is love.

My hometown has an engineering company well known for not hiring catholics but my grandfather, an engineer and a presbyterian had no problem because they didnt know he was rearing 11 catholics.

My gran used to ensure those in the community regardless of faith had in times of need. I .e if there was a death in someones family she cooked and sent it down for the household for a fortnight over the wake funeral etc. My gran used to ensure they had everything from the sheets for the mirrors to the windows. That the household had suits and dress for the funeral and also emotional assistance. After looking after her own household.

I know how shoddily my ancesters were treated when we came here from Ireland.

Catholics were booted out of school because we were horrible catholics. Rome through parishes set up and maintained our schooling before the govt eventually relented and provided funding latterly up to half. Before eventually all in they had to. Now the protestants that didnt want us in their schools now want our good education. Yet some are so bitter they still to this day wish to deny us of faith education.

You know that catholics were not allowed to read ir write yeah.

Irish might have left ireland 1840’s to 1860’s in their droves however although we could eat (my ancestors) we had to work ten times harder than anyone else for a third of the pay.

There were mostly the catholics need not apply boards.

Now no-one tells our black american brothers to move on how they were treated but its open season and always has been on us.

I bring mines up to respect everyone and judge individuals rather than generalisations in other words i have told them everyone is truly worthy or potentially truly worthy of friendship, faith , non-faith or any other differences my sons should judge people as individuals a cnut is a cnut regardless of colour or creed. Etc.

I treat people as individuals. My mums dad raised 11 catholics and loved my gran. He chucked them out to mass and if they didnt know gospel when they got in he hammered them for clearly dogging it. He could also sing the *ash apparantley. My gran was too ribbon bearer in hibs walk back in the day.

I understand and support the reasons why the ra came to be. NOT WHAT THEY BECAME LATTERLY. Oppressed people can only be oppressed for so long.

And you are doing ok speaking to females Anton, pal. Never ever do yourself down brother i and the rest of our family love you.

We are family. HH x ☘️X ??

P.S i respect and applaud your strength in being a better person than i and i genuinely mean that. I really do. ☘️

TBH if you listen to the shite they churn out at celtic park and the cheesy broonie song and the cheesy version of the fans songs they steal and murder, no wonder people sing IRA songs its the only thing the fans know they will not go near and make a cnut of.
Honestly man listen to this pish and you will be phoning the provos to help you out.

TBH if you listen to the shite they churn out at celtic park and the cheesy broonie song and the cheesy version of the fans songs they steal and murder, no wonder people sing IRA songs its the only thing the fans know they will not go near and make a cnut of.
Honestly man listen to this pish and you will be phoning the provos to help you out.
Brutal song, but good video!

to sing or not to sing,this land is my land,woody Guthrie,strange fruit billie halliday,the fish cheer,country joe McDonald,give Ireland back to the irish,john lennon (hhmmm, on that one) grace, the Celtic fan's, not getting into the debate about the right songs or the wrong songs, some are uplifting,some are considered offensive, sometimes there is a right place, or wrong,for that matter,we are musical people and love our songs,appropriateness, what is" appropriate" and when, jist sayin HH

All day long pal, if its offensive tonour own then i can adapt, its not that much change for me.

Now this is really gonna blow.... but i cant imagine being them but if i was a zombiethen i would br truly up sh*t street without a paddle.

Because 2 lines of verse doesnt mean a full overhaul of real offensive songs eh?

Michael fancy popping over for a fight. Lol ☘️

HH pal, songs of protest meant so much to me over the years,but I abhor with a passion songs glorifying, violence,intimidiation and death,"up tae their knees...." ffs, we're better than that, that's why I love "grace" so much, a beautiful,but thought provoking love song, HH Maria,yours in song!

Members online

Latest posts

Back