Green brigade songbook

Regardless of your views, if you think about it and as others have said, there are finer songs to sing whether your aim is to just be happy or proud at being with Celtic fans, or if the aim was to promote Gaelic Celtic Irish Scots culture and identity or even if it is just to wind up and upset 'them'.

British identity and culture is non specific, that was the very point of promoting the 'notion' of
the one-fits-all covers all supposed identity that originally and still does benefitted most of all - what ever the background of mafia family that was running it all from some palace in London, be they Hanoverian born and bred German mafia to their current offspring who not only love the idea but rely on it for their existence, perversely incorporating the bits they considered useful after being instrumental in near killing off the actual native cultures from around the world.

Keeping in mind that 'their ideas on what it means to be 'british' are even more basic based entirely in ignorant myths and arrogant nonsense. What challenges more a rabble of ignorant oafs who love to dress up like dodgy bus conductors?

Simple chants and shouts of a type they are able to learn before a squirrel distracts them,
or
A song of credible historical Culture of a actual people, such as The Fields of Athenry

Of course like the German mafia in London, they will try and use anything of note and claim as theirs, they will try and copy and change the words but the wider world still hears a Irish song heard at Ireland Soccer Football and Rugby games and Boxing matches, you name it, Ireland.

Even better, something that would really stick in their throats.

Might take a little more effort to learn and sing, but worth it as this is really more of your ancestors culture, certainly those who thought of themselves as Irish or Scot.

These ancient anthems and there are a few to choose from would amaze the unbias the world over and stun the ignorant culture free simpletons back into their shells, make them look what they are, basic oafs!

Could even adapt specifically into Celtic FC tune similar to what the Fureys did for their own version.

Copy all they want - the world hears a Irish Scots Gaelic Celtic tune

Grace was a good call, a song essentially about love and honour, but there are many more and some already anthems and have been for hundreds of years, tunes familiar to our ancestors, those many of us profess to honour in pride.

Last edited:
Convinced that a Celtic FC adapted version of Óró Sé do Bheatha Bhaile would be a massive hit and add to the club.
The Celtic Warrior Steve Collins used not even so great a version of it to good effect.
watch from 4 mins 20

The rhythm and sound is primitive of the bones ancient and would really stick out as unique to us, the zombies could not and would not want to copy it because it so obviously Celtic and not remotely britlike.
Celtic should own it as its roots are Gaelic both Irish and Scots Celtic back to at least the 1745 Jacobite rebellion times, like the other anthem Mo Ghile Mear

Padraig Pearse rewrote a version and was sung by Volunteers in 1916, and was chosen for the Wind that shakes the Barley Movie.

The native Irish in the 18th century who either volunteered or more often were pressed into the british navy (what they did to many thousands of innocent and freedom fighter alike Irish who were rounded up after 1798) brought with them the rhythm of their ballads and repetitive rhyming old songs and someone later added to the old Irish tune the words to a Drunken Sailor.

Look at the amazed feedback from all over the world when ever there is a decent passionate sung version, because money can't buy genuine culture or passion.

Celtic fans and the Green Brigade are missing out on a much more powerful song than a basic chant or any adapted pop song which are ten a penny and anyone anywhere can loan and supposedly own.
One that promotes the Irish scots links in a positive proud and passionate way, and would be recognized as familiar by many if not most of the original first fans of The Celtic.

It certainly would be a positive move in trying to attract more fans, whether in Ireland where Celtic are sadly losing attraction to the overhyped EPL, and from the Irish and Scots emigrants alike around the world.

Last edited:
We're here we ain't going nowhere!
When we see blatant acts of (state murder) Palestine. are we meant to look away the most heavily populated place on the planet
Per square meter! Biggest Jail on the Earth! NAW keep in people's minds. ✊

What do you do about that away from football?

What do you do about that away from football?
Sorry mate don't know you from Adam.what do l think away from football the right to live in an equal society. Where what school you went to shouldn't matter what team you support shouldn't matter. That all human beings rights are respcted within the parameters of the law. Because at the end of the day we all bleed we all feel and it's the unique ability to communicate that divides us from every other species. Hope that gives you a small insight.HH

P
Sorry mate don't know you from Adam.what do l think away from football the right to live in an equal society. Where what school you went to shouldn't matter what team you support shouldn't matter. That all human beings rights are respcted within the parameters of the law. Because at the end of the day we all bleed we all feel and it's the unique ability to communicate that divides us from every other species. Hope that gives you a small insight.HH

I hear you

Loved your post.

Just as a caveat even the two non sectarian songs of the horde could possibly harbour real evil.

Bouncy bouncy for obvious reasons (Ive been incognito on the subway caught among the bouncy people and I honestly thought the train would come right off the tracks and they really couldn't give a hoot) what exactly are they imagining they are bouncy bouncy on top of when they sing it with gusto.

Penny Arcade

I was invited out by my blue nose cousins to a bar in east end. Now because i was with my cousins one of their so called mates was pissed and assumed i Was a fellow craft. Got to talking about Penny arcade since someone on Karaoke was singing it and the place erupted. Now i wasn't singing along with the song cause i don't know the words. This dude who was pissed who knew my cousins well was trying to get me to join in and I just let them do their thing. But remarkably the dude went into a mad story about why he loves that song afterwards.

He said they banned our songs so we got anew one that they cannot ban. I said i liked the song but couldn't see the relevance to being banned. He said its a UVF codeword for clubs in Norn Iron around late 60s early 70s big hit on the walks.

I said why?

He said

Protestant
extremists
Never
never
Yield

All
Roman
Catholics
are
Denied
Entry

The first letters spell penny arcade.

I was never invited out by my cousins since that night.

Good to know that blood aint really that thick when it comes to sectarian stuff.
I love penny arcade, it’s a great song, I had heard this before about it having something to do with the uvf, didn’t know why though. I dj in three different pubs at weekends and the amount of people that ask for that or the best or the gambler or sweet Caroline is ridiculous, the gambler I’ve only recently found out they sing a set of words to it about michael stone and during sweet Caroline they sing fuck the pope! They really are absolute cretins, when I say no to playing any of them they play dumb asking why, my reply is always “they are football related songs” their response “oh are they? I didn’t know that” aye ok bullish!t!!

I really am very proud of the GB they stand up for what they believe in I'm 68 and have spent many a fine afternoon mixed with the GB at away games in Scotland and Europe and the encouragement that they give the team is unbelievable at times about rebel songs don't have a problem with and have a few times wiped the tears from my face as they sang Grace, be proud of them and of how they stand up for oppressed people in Palestine and Glasgow with food collections and clothes this is the reason our club was started so thank u GB and continue to do ur deeds HH

I really am very proud of the GB they stand up for what they believe in I'm 68 and have spent many a fine afternoon mixed with the GB at away games in Scotland and Europe and the encouragement that they give the team is unbelievable at times about rebel songs don't have a problem with and have a few times wiped the tears from my face as they sang Grace, be proud of them and of how they stand up for oppressed people in Palestine and Glasgow with food collections and clothes this is the reason our club was started so thank u GB and continue to do ur deeds HH

Don't think any of us doubt what you say, in fact most of us agree.

However, they are a group, within a group, who do what they like. That aspect of their behaviour is unacceptable to many.

Singing of pro-IRA chants/songs is unnecessary and wouldn't hinder the great work they do.

In fact, they could lead the way for a better society for all and practice what they preach about tolerance, understanding and bridge building.

Getting sick of hearing pro I.r.a songs week in week out. No need for them at football.
I understand there are people who think it's great to hear them. Not everyone shares thay opinion.
Would prefer we stuck to football related songs.
Before someone mentions them over the other side, I couldn't give two fks what they do. I am a Celtic supporter not interested in them.

Thats a statement your making..... its not 90 mins of the game probs just the odd 2 sentences of the ofd one.

More important songbooks that truly are vile should get your take action attitude first if you ask me.

I grew up in the six counties during the troubles. The term terrorist or terrorism is loosely bandied about and usually in the direction of the republican movement, without which, we would have been trampled into the ground. I can assure you from first hand experience that terrorism was rife during this period and it was all coming from the scum who are now hailed as heroes year in year out. The so called armed forces slaughtered and pillaged all before them and would have been a lot worse only for the IRA. And while I know that this is a debate about songs being sung at football matches, I just don't like the use of that word, as it only seems to be used against anyone who takes up arms against the English or Americans. I could go on and on, but I won't. Getting back to the songs and the green brigade, I have no problem with their choice of songs, but then again, I'm a product of the environment I grew up in. To each their own! On a different note, TET, there's a book in there somewhere. Very impressive writing!

Magic post Deadner i 100% agree.

Don't think any of us doubt what you say, in fact most of us agree.

However, they are a group, within a group, who do what they like. That aspect of their behaviour is unacceptable to many.

Singing of pro-IRA chants/songs is unnecessary and wouldn't hinder the great work they do.

In fact, they could lead the way for a better society for all and practice what they preach about tolerance, understanding and bridge building.
Sorry Anton don't agree think the work they continue to just now, is helping to build a better society one thing that GB r involved in is arranging days in Garngad for emigrants coming to glasgow to learn about the area and what is available to them and there children also arrange football days for children don't have a problem with RA songs being sung and certainly don't ever hear any chants I find offensive thank u for ur comments Anton HH

Thats a statement your making..... its not 90 mins of the game probs just the odd 2 sentences of the ofd one.

More important songbooks that truly are vile should get your take action attitude first if you ask me.[/QUOTE

Odd one.

Anyway the songs are commemmoration in remembrance. Those songs are not up to their knnes in blood.

I refuse to wear the poppy (red) as it only commemmorates brits fallen, i do however wear the poopy (white) which is the poppy of peace for all those affected by everyones fallen around the world.

I can remember the fallen of our bhoys in world war 2, whilst the huns hid in the shipyards etc and tried to steal the bhoys ghirls.

I can remember my ancestry and the original cause of my brothers n sisters in Ireland as i can of those affected by war everywhere.

But the brits refuse to acknowledge everyones fallen and keep the blood stained red poppy for themselves alone.

Slightly off topic, sorry, but can you see the difference.

We see everyone, they see themselves.

HH ☘️

One more time, if you need to sing about the IRA at a Celtic game you've got a serious problem.

There are no excuses, no history lessons needed and certainly no one in their right mind can deny the hatred from others for our support due to certain fans singing them.

There has never been glory in any war, no heroic death worth the loss of life and those who euologise past participants would probably run a mile if a bullet was fired in their direction.

Romanticise Irish struggles, history and fables all you want. You'll never find the truth in a ballad.

War is dirty. Those who fight it use all they can to maximise death and destruction irrespective of human cost or feeling.

The IRA played as dirty a game as the British. They are all unworthy of our veneration.

It's a fucking football match. End of story.

No-one plays a dirtier game than the British Anton, no-one.

Our Green Brigade should be hero worshipped in my opinion. They are not a bunch of neds, they are a well organised bunch of professional people drawing attention to political unjust brutality throughout the centuries.

They have more charity in their fingertips than most people have in their bodies.

They strive for change, thats what makes them political.

They are the backbone of our support and defo our teams 12th man.

They bring entertainment and showmanship to our games and im extremely proud of them.

I hate the way the huns try and target them ah mean they are not union bear neds.

I hate it even more when i hear our fans being disrepectful and whingeing about them, for me thats worse.

We are family. HH ☘️

I'll tell you something bhoys and ghirls....this is a fantastic thread. I've read all the posts through and I've genuinely changed my opinion a couple of times....which is what debates are all about, isn't it..the fact that it got heated but everyone respects each other is what sets us Celtic fans apart...sevconuts would be threatening to bomb each other at this point....TET you have talent for the written word and Anton, hearing about what happened to your dad defo made me think about the songs I myself sing...I guess when you have been brought up on the stories of the fearless IRA it's easy to forget the innocent victims..HH brothers and sister ??????

Have to agree with Anton ... there are are good and bad sides to the Green Brigade . They are , at their best a colourful , vibrant and genuine breath of fresh air . I loved some of their banners - witty and cheeky and with just the right amount of devilry .

However , like all of us they are not perfect , and like all of us they can be the last people to see their own faults . I have said on here before that I understand the history behind some of the songs sung at Parkhead - some of which I have sung myself . But football is entertainment . Yes , some seek to use it as a political football ( sorry about the pun ) , but to my mind there are other more fruitful ways of making political points , whether about UK politics or Palestine or a myriad of other 'causes' that we could equate with those championed by the Green Brigade .
We cannot fight for every minority that has/is suffering in this world . So let us , at the football direct our energies to supporting our team without other distractions , and if you are passionately driven to plead a cause , do it , but why does it have to be at the football ?

Back