Hollywood managers. Be careful what we wish for ?

Firstly, let me say, I would love Rafa Benitez to become our next manager.

But the gist of this post is not so much about that.

Is it not a chronic state of affairs, that we are contemplating and wanting, indeed some praying for, a manager at an advanced stage of his life, who is looking to pursue "a project"?

A global iconic club the size of Celtic, with its history, traditions and success, reduced to this by a controlling CEO and a gutless and incompetent Board of Directors.

Yes, we are mired in a poor league, with little financial resources or rewards. Yes, we have difficulty in attracting top players. But so too, do many other iconic clubs in the realities of the modern, rich football world. But I have not heard of them, being talked of, as a project for a top manager.

I know that Rafa Benitez never described us as such. He has much more class, and is much more respectful than that.

But the reality is, we are viewed as such by some. And in my opinion the reason for this is, we have become the plaything of an arrogant CEO and a billionaire businessman.

I will dance with joy if Rafa Benitez is appointed, because I know, he will be bowled over when he sees first hand, what our club represents and the support it has.

Hard work, yes. A project, never.

I am a realist, I think. And deep down know, that it will never happen. But I live in hope. And like all Celtic supporters, I live for Celtic. Good days and bad.

Please take a leap of faith Rafa. You will never regret it.
HH.🍀

Last edited:
I think we re gonnie make underwhelming appointments that end up working.Eg - Stevie Clarke and Dom McKay- faces of 2 highest profile sports in Scotland. Need an intermediate though. Hence that DOF role could be critical

Is it not a chronic state of affairs, that we are contemplating and wanting, indeed some praying for, a manager at an advanced stage of his life, who is looking to pursue "a project"?

A global iconic club the size of Celtic, with its history, traditions and success, reduced to this by a controlling CEO and a gutless and incompetent Board of Directors.

Yes, we are mired in a poor league, with little financial resources or rewards. Yes, we have difficulty in attracting top players. But so too, do many other iconic clubs in the realities of the modern, rich football world. But I have not heard of them, being talked of, as a project for a top manager.

I know that Rafa Benitez never described us as such. He has much more class, and is much more respectful than that.

But the reality is, we are viewed as such by some. And in my opinion the reason for this is, we have become the plaything of an arrogant CEO and a billionaire businessman.

I will dance with joy if Rafa Benitez is appointed, because I know, he will be bowled over when he sees first hand, what our club represents and the support it has.

I am a realist, I think. And deep down know, that it will never happen. But I live in hope. And like all Celtic supporters, I live for Celtic. Good days and bad.

HH.🍀
Our next managerial appointment POD will tell us everything about just how much ambition this board really do have.
Getting back to being the best in Scotland is not to hard of a job with better fitness and organising of the team to get a better attitude towards games with much of an oversized squad can be easily enough sorted out imo.
The acid test is just how much we want to get back to competing competitively within Europe.
CL may still be beyond us next season with europa league looking our standard atm but this has to be CL as our aim for the long run.
Getting a team to CL standard will take a lot of hard work but not impossible, and can also be done without the ridiculous money some feel is required

HH.🍀
POD, you make great points which distinguish what we are as a football club in comparison with what we are as a company.

For me Benitez would be an exceptional appointment but it is there to be had.
He's not daft, he would know the (to use PL favourite phrase) 'financial constraints' we are up against. But finance aside, Rafa Benitez has seen first hand a few times what we are all about as he has brought teams to Celtic Park.

He has managed top clubs and knows the difference between managing a well financed but average club and a proper football club. He took the Newcastle job against the backdrop of a owner wanting to sell and not invest. Similar to us, Newcastle is an enormous club in much more than finance. I am sure he thought of the challenge of bringing them some silverware. The first guy that does will be a legend in those parts. Apart from a hefty wage, that clearly got the fire in the belly. The Chinese experiment, probably saw the wages and thought, why not ?

I'd imagine a guy like him getting on in year, wants to manage a huge football club.
While there are others that would no doubt want him come summer, if we were to move quickly before then. i don't see why he wouldn't consider carefully.

60,000 every second week, working against Gerrard, it's a project that has an upside.
I have said it before drop the squad numbers/some diddies from payroll and offer 50k a week with double wages if we qualify for CL groups. You can afford it if he makes it. Give s a couple of years then we discuss it again.

Celtic Park on a European night is as big an occasion as any other stadium anywhere, we just have a board that is happy to accept it on occasion and doesn't build upon it.

Our next managerial appointment POD will tell us everything about just how much ambition this board really do have.
Getting back to being the best in Scotland is not to hard of a job with better fitness and organising of the team to get a better attitude towards games with much of an oversized squad can be easily enough sorted out imo.
The acid test is just how much we want to get back to competing competitively within Europe.
CL may still be beyond us next season with europa league looking our standard atm but this has to be CL as our aim for the long run.
Getting a team to CL standard will take a lot of hard work but not impossible, and can also be done without the ridiculous money some feel is required
spot on john, just fucking got your nail gun out
this is when we find out where our board see's our future as a club

Lots of terrific points on The Noise regarding whether it matters if the new manager is/was a "Celtic man " . No I don't think it does matter, I think the only thing that matters is his ability to do the job. BUT....if I'm honest and I put myself in the position of having to make a decision between two candidates of absolutely equal all round ability/ambition etc; and one of them was a Celtic man ? Well, I wouldn't toss a coin, I would go for the Celtic man. A Celtic man with genuine ability? Every time for me.

The question is he willing to take a massive drop in wages? Are we willing to pay maybe above Rodgers level wages? I actually think rafa will take a big drop in wages cause hes wanting a good project apparently but is DD willing to put out more in wages than rodgers got or even that amount he was on I dont know hope he does of course rafa wid be magic but it's a pipe dream innit?
I dont doubt Cairnsy what you are saying mate that is why I sad,,,is he looking for us,,
I dont believe in all the names we have been spoken about the next Celtic manager is among them,I think Desmond will pull something of along the lines of the man now classed as one of the best in the world,Brendan Rogers,,nobody saw that coming that is why I dont think we have heard the name mentioned who will take over as manager at Celtic..

HH

Lots of terrific points on The Noise regarding whether it matters if the new manager is/was a "Celtic man " . No I don't think it does matter, I think the only thing that matters is his ability to do the job. BUT....if I'm honest and I put myself in the position of having to make a decision between two candidates of absolutely equal all round ability/ambition etc; and one of them was a Celtic man ? Well, I wouldn't toss a coin, I would go for the Celtic man. A Celtic man with genuine ability? Every time for me.
Name a Celtic Man who is a good manager 🤔

Does this twitter account hold all the answers about what is happening behind closed doors..

HH
Is it possible that someone created that account to create a clickbait story and has no connection tp anything?

How did someone notice this twitter account with so few followers and if it had so few followers why would it be important clue about anything?

In a world of no information, noise can seem important.

I dont doubt Cairnsy what you are saying mate that is why I sad,,,is he looking for us,,
I dont believe in all the names we have been spoken about the next Celtic manager is among them,I think Desmond will pull something of along the lines of the man now classed as one of the best in the world,Brendan Rogers,,nobody saw that coming that is why I dont think we have heard the name mentioned who will take over as manager at Celtic..

HH
I canny see Desmond not pulling a rabbit out the hat tbh he must surely know the job thats waiting for the new guy it can't be a nobody but think u cud be rite in the fact its someone we've no heard mentioned he paid Brendan 2 n a half million apparently that's no chump change it wid get most managers it just ur top echelon thats out our reach and unfortunately I think Rafa isnae coming to us HH

I canny see Desmond not pulling a rabbit out the hat tbh he must surely know the job thats waiting for the new guy it can't be a nobody but think u cud be rite in the fact its someone we've no heard mentioned he paid Brendan 2 n a half million apparently that's no chump change it wid get most managers it just ur top echelon thats out our reach and unfortunately I think Rafa isnae coming to us HH
he may be minted enough to not care much bout money, I would have him in a heartbeat, but I dont see him coming here tbh.

Im also not sure he would fancy playing in spfl with his style of football

Name a Celtic Man who is a good manager 🤔
To be honest GB I think this would be a pointless conversation. I think any manager who's managed to win league titles, trebles etc is entitled to be thought of as a good manager. And yes, that includes Lenny. if you feel the fact that a guy is a Celtic man automatically means he will not be a good manager, well, that's fine. I respect your opinion. It's probably true to say the careers of most, if not all, managers end in failure. Even those with a good record.

To be honest GB I think this would be a pointless conversation. I think any manager who's managed to win league titles, trebles etc is entitled to be thought of as a good manager. And yes, that includes Lenny. if you feel the fact that a guy is a Celtic man automatically means he will not be a good manager, well, that's fine. I respect your opinion. It's probably true to say the careers of most, if not all, managers end in failure. Even those with a good record.
Not what I was meaning. Take lennon out of the equation as he won't be appointed manager. Name one decent manager with celtic connections that we could hire?
Please don't say Paul Lambert

This board has escaped the real brunt of the support’s anger as a result of the lockout. I would suggest they tread very carefully with the new managerial appointment before the gates are opened again.
Some Mickey Mouse (he’s from Hollywood isn't he) manager because he’s cheap isn’t going to cut it.

Back