In the cold light of day

If people want to be offended by Irish songs it's because they either don't know or don't care about British history as whole. They hear songs and automatically think "terrorists sympathizers". Then your told about all the innocent people the IRA killed. When you ask how many innocent people in Ireland were killed there is no answer back. Collateral damage when the brits are killing people....if there wasn't an IRA innocent people wouldn't die we are told. If the brits didn't have soldiers kicking in doors and interning people. Or stood back as loyalist burned houses then there would be no need for the IRA. Ask the the offended people if they have heard of Bombay street. They wont have.

But we should reflect a little bit on this and ask ourselves if it’s wise to glorify the IRA and their history if it means that we’re going to offend a large percentage of society

Pish
Want us to sit at the back of the bus , what next stop wearing green and take the tricolour down ,your perception seems to be that all supporters glorify the IRA and there history

And they dared to call me a terrorist

As for the large percentage of society here's a news flash they are hidden bigots fk them

You should have tried going through a checkpoint during the troubles see if you would have the same view

Michael, I’m not really sure I understand what you’re getting at.

The point I was trying to make had more to do with the perception of others regarding the IRA and our support thereof (hint: not good!). Now, we as Celtic supporters are perfectly entitled to support whoever we wish including the IRA, the PLO, and other organizatons (and I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of our support of other organizations other than the IRA at this point because it’s not as defining or visible to the rest of society). But we should reflect a little bit on this and ask ourselves if it’s wise to glorify the IRA and their history if it means that we’re going to offend a large percentage of society (the vast majority of whom are NOT Rangers supporters) so that they don’t want anything to do with us? What are we hoping to achieve by doing so?

To your point, or what I think is your point... supporters of any movement will almost always have a favorable viewpoint of itself. I’m not sure that really addresses my points one way or the other though unless I’ve misunderstood you.
no problems Ben,i'm still mulling over a thoughtful response to your post,just thought i'd throw in some examples of how experience colours our perceptions,views and actions
a wise man once said;
Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that.
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an' a that;
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
A Man's a Man for a' that:
For a' that, and a' that,
Their tinsel show, an' a' that;
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a lord,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a coof for a' that:
For a' that, an' a' that,
His ribband, star, an' a' that:
The man o' independent mind
He looks an' laughs at a' that.

A prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an' a' that;
But an honest man's abon his might,
Gude faith, he maunna fa' that!
Their dignities an' a' that;
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
It's coming yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that.​

If people want to be offended by Irish songs it's because they either don't know or don't care about British history as whole. They hear songs and automatically think "terrorists sympathizers". Then your told about all the innocent people the IRA killed. When you ask how many innocent people in Ireland were killed there is no answer back. Collateral damage when the brits are killing people....if there wasn't an IRA innocent people wouldn't die we are told. If the brits didn't have soldiers kicking in doors and interning people. Or stood back as loyalist burned houses then there would be no need for the IRA. Ask the the offended people if they have heard of Bombay street. They wont have.

Well said Lubo ?????

So we are clear. I don't condone the killing of any innocent person. By anyone...brits...IRA....UDA.

But if invading soldiers were to kick my door in. Take my dad away. Shoot by brother. Beat up my family members you are fucking right I'd grab a gun and fight for my country and my families freedom. It's very easy to sit in the UK and the states and condemn people and call them terrosrists. It's very easy to do that when it's our soldiers invading countries and massacring whole communities of people. The Brits have been doing it for a lot longer than the US but your boys are fair trying hard to catch up.

But we should reflect a little bit on this and ask ourselves if it’s wise to glorify the IRA and their history if it means that we’re going to offend a large percentage of society

Pish
Want us to sit at the back of the bus , what next stop wearing green and take the tricolour down ,your perception seems to be that all supporters glorify the IRA and there history

And they dared to call me a terrorist

As for the large percentage of society here's a news flash they are hidden bigots fk them

You should have tried going through a checkpoint during the troubles see if you would have the same view

Maybe ignorance but too many squiff posting for me.

Im out. No point we have nada in common on our thinking here.

Not saying anything about you more tome would be needed n a cant be arsed

I think its best speaking to people who do not run down the supporters i love

HH ☘️

where am i running down supporters?

Not you kelly. Ben. His previous post about our supporters burning the boozer without facts and the automatic thinking of the smsm who cant hide sevvie bigotry and badness so must highlight that we all have bampots we’re all the same.

Never have i seen a celtic fan the aggressor and not being funny but ive been to a shed loada games.

Years n years worth.

Then this banging on about antons favourite subject stop celtic fans singing what they like.

I thought americans bang the democracy drum a bit louder eh?

Apparantly not for the soap box occupant with a waggy finger.

Lubo, I know you mean well, but your comment here has weighed on my mind for several days and I need to respond. And also understand that this is coming from a Celtic supporter, but one who is not Catholic, Irish, Scottish, or who fits the mold of a more ‘traditional’ Celtic supporter.

So firstly, the article this morning on Etims really resonated with me.
http://etims.net/?p=13935
There was a time in my life - before I was a strong Celtic supporter - that I had a desire to see a match at Ibrox to experience the atmosphere. The ‘Old Firm’ rilvalry is world famous for the passion, and it’s well beyond anything we have in America. The closest I can even think of would be a political rally - such as those supporting Trump in 2016 or Obama in 2008 - but I don’t think that’s a good comparison for a lot of reasons. Regardless, I no longer have any desire to go to Ibrox, even to watch Celtic win by a 5-0 scoreline. It is a place where hatred, bigotry, racism, and sectarianism are not only tolerated but actively celebrated. It is vile and reprehensible, and it’s something and someplace I want nothing to do with. And crucially, unlike the fringe element that can be found at a lot of clubs and even in society at large, this element at Ibrox is a feature rather than a bug. Rangers as an institution is a Masonic cult that celebrates William of Orange’s victory over the Catholics, and one of the defining characteristics of the Orange Order is that they view themselves as superior to those who don’t subscribe to their world view, whether that is defined by religion (non-Protestant), nationality (non-British), or race (non-white).

So the part that I want to disagree with you about is the behavior of our own fans and whether or not it is acceptable. And I’m going to lay down a marker here - if any behavior is bad enough to be found objectionable by one’s spouse, child, employer, or priest (or other religious leader for those like me who aren’t Catholic), then one should not engage in that sort of behavior anywhere or at any time.

So calling Kris Boyd a fat cunt is not okay. And calling him a bastard or an orange bastard isn’t okay either. You wouldn’t go into your child’s school or your church and hurl these insults, so why is it okay at a football ground (or on the Internet!)? And the fact that someone else is tossing these insults around doesnt excuse one’s own reprehensible behavior. We are, or should strive to be, better than this!

So with that out of the way... calling someone in the U.K. an “orange [fill in the blank]” is most definitely a sectarian insult and likely racist as well. Why? Because ‘Orange’ is not just a color but a very deliberate refereance to the Orange Order, and being a white Protestant is the most significant trait that defines membership of that organization. Or put another way, the Orange Order is by definition a sectarian organization, and by insulting the organization or one of its members, one is by definition hurling a sectarian insult. You can argue that the Order should be held up for scorn and ridicule (and you’d be right), but it’s a fallacy to claim that such insults aren’t sectarian in their nature.

Finally, I want to touch on the celebration of our clubs and supporters Irish roots. First off, that history is part of Celtic’s history and it is something that should be celebrated. I want to make that very clear before I go further. But the IRA chants and some (I emphase some here) of the rebel songs are found to be offensive to a lot of people both in the U.K. and elsewhere. The IRA is viewed in most parts of the world, including the U.K. and the USA, as a terrorist organization. The fact that it was, and still is in the 6 counties, a rebel army attempting to overthrow an oppressive foreign occupier is lost on most people who aren’t Irish or understand Irish history. (Indeed, George Washington would have gone down in history as a terrorist and a traitor had he not led the American colonies to victory in 1883). But the underlying fact remains that pro-IRA messages are viewed as pro-terrorist to those not from an Irish background or understand a fair amount of Irish history. People, and not just Rangers supporters, find these songs and messages hurtful and offensive.

If our club is ever going to be successful in building alliances and finding common ground with other clubs on a more than one-off basis, we would be well advised to cut the crap about the IRA because it makes us look like terrorists or, at best, terrorist sympathizers to those who don’t share that world view, be they Protestant, secular, Scottish, English, or even many non-Irish Catholics. We’re never going to get other clubs or other fans on our side as long as we tolerate, much less celebrate, such behavior. Pro-Ireland, sure. Pro-Catholic, sure. But there are better ways to celebrate Irish heritage than singing about perceived terrorists or the battles they’ve won against the British army, particularly when doing so in Britain!

Is the Orange Order all white Protestant or is it just anyone who hates the Catholic Church, all it stands for and all who are part of it? I would have thought it is a broad collection of narrow minded anti-Catholics and, as such, calling someone like Kris Boyd an orange bastard is not sectarian because it does not specifically insult the Protestant religion. I suspect some jewish and some muslim and some other religions may be in the slurry that is the Orange Order.

On the other hand, the seething mass of hatred that gathers in Hummel tops and sings and chants en-masse about "fenian bastards" and being "up to [their] knees in fenian blood" are most certainly being sectarian as they are just taking a blunderbuss to the Catholic religion.

Is the Orange Order all white Protestant or is it just anyone who hates the Catholic Church, all it stands for and all who are part of it? I would have thought it is a broad collection of narrow minded anti-Catholics and, as such, calling someone like Kris Boyd an orange bastard is not sectarian because it does not specifically insult the Protestant religion. I suspect some jewish and some muslim and some other religions may be in the slurry that is the Orange Order.

On the other hand, the seething mass of hatred that gathers in Hummel tops and sings and chants en-masse about "fenian bastards" and being "up to [their] knees in fenian blood" are most certainly being sectarian as they are just taking a blunderbuss to the Catholic religion.

Well said. Most orangemen or the fans of the orange order are not religious at all. Most the zombie bastard barely understand the protestant religion. It is a pure hatred of Catholics that drives them
HH Neil ??

America like the UK called Nelson Mandela a Terrorist. Ghandi wasn’t liked by the politicos of Britain but loved by the Ordinary people when they found out what he stood for.
You say terrorists I say freedom fighters.
It’s easy to safely sit in your home or homes and criticise anyone fighting for the right to live a free person. It’s harder to do it when the whole of the right wing media press are telling you your the Enemy Within this happened to the Miners 84/85. And it’s happening now in Venezuela where the country is being sent back to the Stone Age by American imperialism on the back of harsh sanctions by the Clown in Chief Donald where’s your hairdo.
Been a pape, Fenian bastard, all my life. Know what it’s a badge of honour to me. What I don’t like is hate for hates sake.
I don’t hate Prods, or Orangemen. I despise religious Zealots.
I am an Athiest remember going on Hols with ma grunda to Ireland when I was a wean asked him to tell me what was green white and gold on some of the headstones in the graveyards and why some had Union Jacks.
Religion son religion they died over it, fighting each other. He fought the 2nd war was part of DDay. He fought fascism.
Yes sing songs of Freedom but don’t throw coins or flares it’s not the Celtic Way.

HH ☘️????????

Well said. Most orangemen or the fans of the orange order are not religious at all. Most the zombie bastard barely understand the protestant religion. It is a pure hatred of Catholics that drives them
HH Neil ??

There is only the requirement of them going to church ONCE A YEAR

Sure sounds like a religion. Ooft.

My top today tells me its religion but i dont auto assume its religious coz of the brand ffs

America like the UK called Nelson Mandela a Terrorist. Ghandi wasn’t liked by the politicos of Britain but loved by the Ordinary people when they found out what he stood for.
You say terrorists I say freedom fighters.
It’s easy to safely sit in your home or homes and criticise anyone fighting for the right to live a free person. It’s harder to do it when the whole of the right wing media press are telling you your the Enemy Within this happened to the Miners 84/85. And it’s happening now in Venezuela where the country is being sent back to the Stone Age by American imperialism on the back of harsh sanctions by the Clown in Chief Donald where’s your hairdo.
Been a pape, Fenian bastard, all my life. Know what it’s a badge of honour to me. What I don’t like is hate for hates sake.
I don’t hate Prods, or Orangemen. I despise religious Zealots.
I am an Athiest remember going on Hols with ma grunda to Ireland when I was a wean asked him to tell me what was green white and gold on some of the headstones in the graveyards and why some had Union Jacks.
Religion son religion they died over it, fighting each other. He fought the 2nd war was part of DDay. He fought fascism.
Yes sing songs of Freedom but don’t throw coins or flares it’s not the Celtic Way.

HH ☘️????????

I certainly wouldnt give them tramps the means to resurrect a third immitation, soz unlike you, i’d throw halfers ??

Going to have to part ways with you here a bit, Ben. You're my countryman, but you're a little off-base here.

So with that out of the way... calling someone in the U.K. an “orange [fill in the blank]” is most definitely a sectarian insult and likely racist as well.

Whoa there, sport. Let's get a tighter grip on your horses. First, it's not "racist" for a few reasons, primarily because racism begins with one race designating itself as superior to another. You may want to substitute "oppression" for "racism," under which the Irish have clearly suffered historically. To carry out acts of oppression, a privileged people (e.g., whites, whether British or American) must have power and privilege. There has never been a time in Anglo-Saxon and American history when a race other than white has had power and privilege over another—whether it's in the case of African-Americans in the U.S. or the British over the Irish.

I would agree that it is important to direct anger and hurt at the institution of oppression and not people in particular But I am not willing to give up the right to take a blow, or repeated blows, from an oppressor without fighting back.

Finally, I want to touch on the celebration of our clubs and supporters Irish roots. First off, that history is part of Celtic’s history and it is something that should be celebrated. I want to make that very clear before I go further. But the IRA chants and some (I emphase some here) of the rebel songs are found to be offensive to a lot of people both in the U.K. and elsewhere. The IRA is viewed in most parts of the world, including the U.K. and the USA, as a terrorist organization. The fact that it was, and still is in the 6 counties, a rebel army attempting to overthrow an oppressive foreign occupier is lost on most people who aren’t Irish or understand Irish history.

When you hear people singing anti-American songs or anti-American chants, do you take immediate offence without thinking about why they're singing/chanting, or do you say, "Wait, maybe they have a point," when you hear it? The Irish have a legitimate beef with the British, who for centuries have been oppressors (a mantle picked up by our own country, sadly, in the 19th and 20th centuries), and if you're saying hurt feelings decades (or even centuries) later equal spilled blood of ancestors, then I would ask you to rethink that.

Further, I think it's unfortunate that Celtic has clamped down on IRA chants and slogans, but that's me.

Oh, on George Washington: By 18th century standards, the Continental Army practiced terrorist tactics to win independence, and they are "celebrated" for it. The IRA, arguably, was not as successful against their oppressors, but they still deserve recognition, whether in chants or songs or stories.

It brings up the point about what brings one to Celtic. For some, it's geography. For some, it's history. It could be for a multiplicity of reasons, and the first point of the club is not "seeking alliances" or "finding common ground."

And I get it: For many, supporting a club is as simple as beginning with the kickoff on the pitch and ending with the final whistle.

Celtic is so much more than that. At least to me.

I could support anyone, but I choose to support Celtic because of its history as a team borne of the generosity and charity of Brother Walfrid. As a team with a following that was not afraid to own its heritage and speak its mind. As a team that seems inclusive rather than exclusive, but does not tolerate being put under foot. It is, indeed, a club like no other.

So does it bother me that some in the Green Brigade wave Palestinian flags at matches? Hell, no. I welcome it, because like the Irish, the Palestinians have been held down by their oppressors for decades.

Does it bother me that fans chant "up the Ra" at games? Hell, no. What really bothers me is that it's now apparently verboten at games.

So we're going to have to agree to disagree here, Ben. Welcoming further discussion on this.

Going to have to part ways with you here a bit, Ben. You're my countryman, but you're a little off-base here.

Whoa there, sport. Let's get a tighter grip on your horses. First, it's not "racist" for a few reasons, primarily because racism begins with one race designating itself as superior to another. You may want to substitute "oppression" for "racism," under which the Irish have clearly suffered historically. To carry out acts of oppression, a privileged people (e.g., whites, whether British or American) must have power and privilege. There has never been a time in Anglo-Saxon and American history when a race other than white has had power and privilege over another—whether it's in the case of African-Americans in the U.S. or the British over the Irish.

I would agree that it is important to direct anger and hurt at the institution of oppression and not people in particular But I am not willing to give up the right to take a blow, or repeated blows, from an oppressor without fighting back.

When you hear people singing anti-American songs or anti-American chants, do you take immediate offence without thinking about why they're singing/chanting, or do you say, "Wait, maybe they have a point," when you hear it? The Irish have a legitimate beef with the British, who for centuries have been oppressors (a mantle picked up by our own country, sadly, in the 19th and 20th centuries), and if you're saying hurt feelings decades (or even centuries) later equal spilled blood of ancestors, then I would ask you to rethink that.

Further, I think it's unfortunate that Celtic has clamped down on IRA chants and slogans, but that's me.

Oh, on George Washington: By 18th century standards, the Continental Army practiced terrorist tactics to win independence, and they are "celebrated" for it. The IRA, arguably, was not as successful against their oppressors, but they still deserve recognition, whether in chants or songs or stories.

It brings up the point about what brings one to Celtic. For some, it's geography. For some, it's history. It could be for a multiplicity of reasons, and the first point of the club is not "seeking alliances" or "finding common ground."

And I get it: For many, supporting a club is as simple as beginning with the kickoff on the pitch and ending with the final whistle.

Celtic is so much more than that. At least to me.

I could support anyone, but I choose to support Celtic because of its history as a team borne of the generosity and charity of Brother Walfrid. As a team with a following that was not afraid to own its heritage and speak its mind. As a team that seems inclusive rather than exclusive, but does not tolerate being put under foot. It is, indeed, a club like no other.

So does it bother me that some in the Green Brigade wave Palestinian flags at matches? Hell, no. I welcome it, because like the Irish, the Palestinians have been held down by their oppressors for decades.

Does it bother me that fans chant "up the Ra" at games? Hell, no. What really bothers me is that it's now apparently verboten at games.

So we're going to have to agree to disagree here, Ben. Welcoming further discussion on this.

Absolutely with you on this, Larry. (y)

Back