The greatest song ever.....

Iā€™m struggling with this 1 song Iā€™ve currently got 34 on my favs playlist the ones I listen to in the car or when out walking.
even have a song I want played when going in the Ground I Still havenā€™t found what Iā€™m looking for.
So Top 3
In the Mood G Miller
Burning Bridges M Curb
Shoals o herring The Corries

HH šŸŽ¶

Seriously though, I can't pick one song!
This however, is one of them...
I think its impossible to pick one but if you were even to pick 10 it would still be a struggle but if bet my last nicker that pink floyd would be included in most folk of our generation.
Crazy thing is when I was younger and listening stoned the general assumption and consensus amongst the troops was that the floyd had to be into puffing, tripping etc the works.
Actually couldnt be further from the truth they're all from a pretty privileged background and attended westminster university and cambridge high school for bhoys etc clever cookies.
This track means so much to me and reminds me of so many different places ive been and someone talented will have a guitar .
Especially reminds me of my volunteering days in the old East Germany sitting around a campfire 30 miles south of Berlin, the place is called Erfurt .
A large group of us 25 roughly , 10 from Glasgow, a few from Edinburgh and oxford, banbury and the rest London.
We had made friends with the local cool dudes who would come and pick us up from our youth hostel in a convoy of pimped up Volkswagen beetles.
What a sight to see them pulling up about a dozen beetles with really cool paintwork/artwork on .
They would drive us to a lake nearby where we all got pished and sang pink floyd.
One time I was so into it that I hadnt realised I was the only foreigner who was still there and had ( to my utter astonishment) been speaking in German for hours not a word of English.
Apparantley German and Russian are languages that are relatively easy for Scots to pick up because of how we rrroll our R's and ach, uch etc they have very similar what a buzz , take me back please

Can't even begin to name an all time favourite song. My music collection spans from the thirties up until present time. Many songs stand out from different times in my life, and for different reasons. They all have a special place in my memory. I became a man way back in the sixties while a certain song was playing on my Dansette record player. You know the kind, needle arm just repeating time after time. ( Naw, am no telling ye whit song it was ! )
Don't think that lassie will remember too much about it though !
Many of you understandably give YNWA as your favourite. Good shout to be fair. Not everyone likes it though. I once remember reading in The Herald Diary a wee piece about some nut job who complained to the staff at one of Glasgow's swimming baths as the song was playing over the tannoy. Not that he didn't like Gerry and The Pacemakers, no, he said it was sectarian !

Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower. The best musician of our age singing the best songwriter of our age's song. Musical perfection.
There is a documentary on SKY Documentaries about Hendrix and his manager. Itā€™s called Hendrix and the Spook. The guy ripped aff The Animals and then ripped aff Hendrix. Hendrix was in the process o punting the guy when he died. They are saying the guy is ex SAS and possibly even MI5. Not watched it all though.

Must mention Royksopp a Norwegian super band that are massive worldwide but dont tour much love them .

While weā€™re in that part of the world pal, remember watching this performance with my old bhoy
When it ended he was all teary eyed
ā€˜Itā€™s in a different language so I canā€™t tell you one word, in fact I dint even know if itā€™s a happy or a sad, but by fuck its got meā€™
Thatā€™s a song in my book

Itā€™ll be familiar as bbc used it on their Attenborough documentaries

Last edited:
Can't even begin to name an all time favourite song. My music collection spans from the thirties up until present time. Many songs stand out from different times in my life, and for different reasons. They all have a special place in my memory. I became a man way back in the sixties while a certain song was playing on my Dansette record player. You know the kind, needle arm just repeating time after time. ( Naw, am no telling ye whit song it was ! )
Don't think that lassie will remember too much about it though !
Many of you understandably give YNWA as your favourite. Good shout to be fair. Not everyone likes it though. I once remember reading in The Herald Diary a wee piece about some nut job who complained to the staff at one of Glasgow's swimming baths as the song was playing over the tannoy. Not that he didn't like Gerry and The Pacemakers, no, he said it was sectarian !

Funny as it might seem Frank the sevco crew who turned up yesterday for their clubs 10th anniversary could not name a favourite song either,so you are not alone mate,in fact Frank I dont think the band turned up much to the disapointment of thousands of gullibles who had gathered to hear a wee bit of Fenian this and Fenian that,,maybe they will get it right for their 25th..

HH

There is a documentary on SKY Documentaries about Hendrix and his manager. Itā€™s called Hendrix and the Spook. The guy ripped aff The Animals and then ripped aff Hendrix. Hendrix was in the process o punting the guy when he died. They are saying the guy is ex SAS and possibly even MI5. Not watched it all though.
Aye, the managers of young artists in the 60s, 70s were not noted for their altruism šŸ˜…

Good wee ole time blues tune from the inspiration of many famous bands

Apparently he was a wild man in a time Black men wee treated even more than shite than today.

Weird thing is Led zeppelin stole lot of old time blues tunes but if you put a copy of led zeppelin song on youtube video it will get shut down pronto

Wonder if leadbelly family estate got anything from Led zeppelin who stole his song

Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower. The best musician of our age singing the best songwriter of our age's song. Musical perfection.
Jimi changed the sound of music with his style, unseen and unheard
Kind of like the beatles before that, he found something in a guitar that nobody had ever done

my old bhoy was born in the early 50's, so kinda lived through the golden era of music
i've devoured lots of documentary's etc from the woodstock/LA scene.
Thanks to my old mans ear and my penchant for being stoned in my formative years, i loved that period

Lots of great stories of the time, the Who refused to go on without a bank draft in their managers hands, fortunately the organisers best pal was a bank managers and got his a bank draft with minutes to spare, his bank basically paying them without
oh and another story, Jimi nearly never made Woodstock,

Young recalled: ā€œOne of the things I remember about Woodstock was trying to get there to play. As it turns out, the charter plane I was on with Jimi Hendrix flew into the wrong airport. We were supposed to be picked by a helicopter. The roads were jammed and there was nobody at the airport, so we had no way to get to the concert.ā€

He then added: ā€œSo weā€™re standing at the airport with Melvin Belli [an attorney] trying to figure out what to do. And Melvin Belli steals this pickup truck parked at the airport. So itā€™s the three of us in this stolen pickup truck trying to get to the Woodstock concert to playā€”Jimi, Melvin and me. Thatā€™s what I really remember about Woodstock.ā€

In my opinion he's easily the greatest guitarist that has lived but, his legacy was cemented by his death and the band he played with, i can't imagine him playing without Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding. For me its not just about Jimi Hendrix, it's the Jimi Hendrix Experience

i've waffled enough shite, hic, here's my favourite of theirs

Back