The Manager

That's fair enough TET. It is quite clear that this humiliation has resulted in a lot of wavering supporters completely losing their faith in Lenny. I appreciate that and totally understand why so won't try to tell you that you are wrong - maybe I am being naive and just sticking my head in the sand.

As you may remember although I thought Lenny would get the job permanently I was always cautious as his approach to tactics could be quite mind boggling at times.

However I would support him and I was pleasantly surprised when he turned things around with the 3-5-2 after Dubai. Although my patience is wearing thin, I will still back him to improve things again - but he had better do it and not become a Mowbray Mark II.

The last few games have mostly been poor and last night was sickening - but sadly predictable (when you saw his line up) and very avoidable. I don't really believe Neil thought they were fantastic against Utd or Killie but was instead trying not to publicly slate his players but trying to build them up instead. Now last night he did call out the players and he is being ridiculed for throwing his players under the bus.

It would be very wrong to speculate on a public forum about a person's mental health but seeing as Neil has bravely spoken about his tough battle in the past, I think we all hope he is keeping well and has coped with this lockdown as it has been a problem for many with similar issues who are not under the extreme public pressure our manager has to endure.

The sobering aspect is we are grudingly accepting that the Europa League is our level, but we still might not make it there. A tricky one off away tie (or even home tie, seeing as we have no crowd) may trip us up again!

Probably in the same boat as you right now BB, I don't want to see Lenny go I want to see him do better.

Lenny wasn't my preferred choice, I had my concerns about him coming back, I voiced those concerns at the time and then I shut up about them after his appointment as the decision had been made and it was time to back the man. My concerns about his tactical know how never went away but I'll admit they were tempered after the home and away wins over Lazio, I thought maybe just maybe his judgement had gotten better.

So no matter how much I'm pissed off at him for last night's debacle he's still the gaffer and he still has my backing (whatever that's worth) BUT he just like everybody else is not above criticism. He needs to up his own game as well as the teams' and if that means admitting he needs sharper tactical minds around him then he needs to swallow his pride and get it done. One other thing he needs to do is show he's not afraid to stand up and call Lawell and the board out for their part in this latest shitshow because just like every other year it's their failures that drag this club down more than anybody else's.

Lenny going now would do more harm than good imo, not only will the haters smell blood in the water and try to capitalise on it but a new coach coming in this late in the day makes any recruitment in this window a near impossibility and would cause too much upheaval in the current squad.

I'm old now, ordinary but moderately successful working career in three different jobs, played bounce games fitba' four times a week till I was 55 then got a ruptured cruciate. Fairly pish but chronically enthusiastic footballer and usually always ended up bein' the leader ( loud voice ). I think ALL of my small success came from leading by example. If I didn't show I would do it, how could I convince my staff/team to do it. If I did not hold myself accountable for f*ck ups how could I make my staff/team accountable. Somebody else made THIS point today ( E Tims ? Celtic blog ? ) - In his final lockdown interview before we restarted Neil looked bloated, out of shape and untidy and I actually remarked to my wife that as a Celtic manager he was not projecting a very positive image to his players and staff and expressed the fear that in a crucial season we were already starting on the wrong foot and to be honest I am still feeling that way - I hope I'm wrong :(:(:(

Exactly, pal. Our "projects" should be the fantsstic youngsters we already have coming through our youth system.

Try developing them by breaking them into the first team squad over the period of a couple of seasons instead of flinging them inyo a couple of league cup ties and giving them 10 minutes in an ebd of season game that doesn't matter before releasing them. I got fed up of our youth teams dominating their age groups and then none of them getting a chance.

I guess we have had Forrest, Tierney, CalMac break into the first team over the last decade or so, which is a pathetic return considering the investment and talent we have had.

There’s a right good player there imo...
There would be if we would give him a chance

O Neill had Henrik Larsson...massive key to his success.... remember, Strachan got us to the cl last 16 with an inferior team and within a bawhair of taking the eventual winners to penalties......I still maintain that if Strachan had Larsson, he'd have gotten us to the final that year....anyway, point is, O'Neill was right place right time
Lennon needs to stay but he needs to stop being faithful to players who are underperforming

I loved Strachan as a manager.

He was an advocate of keeping things simple. Short passes with players moving into space to receive.

People can say what they like about GS but he was let down by the board when we lost the league that year. If memory serves there was little to no significant movement in the transfer window that season. I think Sammy arrived that year but there wasn't anyone else of note through the door.

Strengthening from a winning position has never been something our board do particularly well, despite that being the easiest time to recruit good players.

Back to today...

If Lennon was sacked then pretty much ANY MANAGER OF ANY DECENT STANDING in the game would provide us with a big enough of a bounce to get 10IAR done.

I'd have no problem with him getting his jotters.

Despite being a massive fan of what he's done for the club over the years the winning of the league outweighs all else and I can see us losing it this year unless we get our shit together rapido!

The chances of PL and DD sanctioning that, however, are about as likely as Boris Johnston coming out the closet as a card carrying member of the SNP.

Any thoughts on who could replace NL?

Can't Luca Connell play left back?
Well why not give the lad a shot at it. He couldn't be any worse than Greg I've an unbelievable knack at hittin the defender with every ball Taylor.

Watched the kid pre season and in a few of the reserve games and he's got talent. We're losing far too many youngsters that get bogged down and pissed off in the second string.

Same goes for Soro, who played very well when he came on in games pre season. Lot's of energy in his game, which conversely, is the opposite of the guy he'd replace. As much as I love Broony, he can't go on forever.

As a servant of the club he's been phenomenal but everyone's time comes to an end.

Everyone has a sell by date and he should be getting scaled back when it comes to appearances no matter how good he's been.

O Neill had Henrik Larsson...massive key to his success.... remember, Strachan got us to the cl last 16 with an inferior team and within a bawhair of taking the eventual winners to penalties......I still maintain that if Strachan had Larsson, he'd have gotten us to the final that year....anyway, point is, O'Neill was right place right time
Lennon needs to stay but he needs to stop being faithful to players who are underperforming
Strachan was our most under rated manager IMO and he achieved what he did on a thinner budget than any manager since MON. I'd take him back any time and hope he did not have to suffer any more of the "not Celtic minded" shite :confused:

Watched the kid pre season and in a few of the reserve games and he's got talent. We're losing far too many youngsters that get bogged down and pissed off in the second string.

Same goes for Soro, who played very well when he came on in games pre season. Lot's of energy in his game, which conversely, is the opposite of the guy he'd replace. As much as I love Broony, he can't go on forever.

As a servant of the club he's been phenomenal but everyone's time comes to an end.

Everyone has a sell by date and he should be getting scaled back when it comes to appearances no matter how good he's been.
Conn
Can't Luca Connell play left back?
Well why not give the lad a shot at it. He couldn't be any worse than Greg I've an unbelievable knack at hittin the defender with every ball Taylor.
Luca Connell played twenty something games for Boltons first team and I think maybe half a dozen were at left back and the fans loved him

I loved Strachan as a manager.

He was an advocate of keeping things simple. Short passes with players moving into space to receive.

People can say what they like about GS but he was let down by the board when we lost the league that year. If memory serves there was little to no significant movement in the transfer window that season. I think Sammy arrived that year but there wasn't anyone else of note through the door.

Strengthening from a winning position has never been something our board do particularly well, despite that being the easiest time to recruit good players.

Back to today...

If Lennon was sacked then pretty much ANY MANAGER OF ANY DECENT STANDING in the game would provide us with a big enough of a bounce to get 10IAR done.

I'd have no problem with him getting his jotters.

Despite being a massive fan of what he's done for the club over the years the winning of the league outweighs all else and I can see us losing it this year unless we get our shit together rapido!

The chances of PL and DD sanctioning that, however, are about as likely as Boris Johnston coming out the closet as a card carrying member of the SNP.

Any thoughts on who could replace NL?
100% (y)

U want to change the manager in our 10 in a row season that's already started wit if it took 4/5 month for players to get into his tactics and way of playing by that time that mob wid be way ahead in league ffs we just need to clear cunts out n buy better it's the buying strategy I'm wary of shved no look in away on loan klimala cannae get a game afore a midfielder wheres that soro boy?? Its no fuckin good enough celtic as a whole
Makes you wonder how much say Lenny has on transfers.Got a feeling Turnbull will be a good addition but not so sure about Klimala,Soro or Ajeti.Time will tell.

If anything is to happen to Lennon, other than being assured of the job until the end of the season, then it must happen immediately after the Motherwell game when we have a fortnight until the Ross County game. Longer term, ie beyond this season, I don't see a future for him irrespective of what happens this season.
IMO Lawwell, and I assume the board, want Kennedy as manager to take the team forward. A young manager (who knows the club from top to bottom) who will carry on the ideas of Rodgers (without the narcissistic personal traits) and work towards a modern club that embraces analytics, data, sport science etc in the recruitment and development of players.
I think Lennon will probably be given the chance to win 10IAR but Kennedy will be given more of a say regarding team selection, formation and tactics.
On a side note, Lennon doesn't look well. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked and we see Strachan as a temporary manager to guide Kennedy in the short term.

I like Neil Lennon....Because of his mental health he will probably be suffering more than most....When he came back....we were loving him...he got the 9.....I was a big supporter of him returning.
I really think now is the time for a change, I know people say, give him time etc etc....and yes, we don't really know how he 'gets on' with the board...He came back so make yer own mind up......But his team selections of late have been 'interesting' to say the least......Same happened last time at the early Euro stages.....against Cluj....All the fans thinking...why did he leave our millions of pounds new players, on the bench. Another strange decision, and what happens...We get knocked oot. Last night was the same.....Spent millions on strikers.....Left on the bench.....Weer knocked oot again....I am still a wee bit suspicious of Eddy not making the bench...Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but playing wi no striker in basically a cup final.....Poor decision...No excuse...

Bring back Martin O'Neill....He would have played 2 up top last night....He would have had big hard CB's in place. I know he had Henrick last time round, but, MON knows Scottish football, and Euro football....I am sure he would do a good job.....
[/
A bit of an oversimplification about MON having no tactics but the jist of it was to have good players and play them in their best positions. I think the only person he adapted was switching Agathe from an attacking player to wingback.

We couldn't afford to buy players of Sutton, Hartson or Lennon's stature these days as that level of player in England is going for £30m+, but the principle is the same.

MON's time has passed I'm afraid. But I am still hoping that Lennon gets his act together and sorts out the shit that is obviously going on behind the scenes. I also suspect that if he delivers 10 then he may still walk away so not sure who we would get as his successor - Lawwell would want Kennedy no doubt, but that doesn't inspire me one bit.
Kennedy not for me BB, foreign manager for me next season time we were getting going in Europe.

if you sign a player with great experience of certain position with certain style and you dont instruct him he will revert to his talent

same with a young player

but if they aren't doing what your expecting you need to address that

mon had luxury of signing players with certain positional awareness with real pedigree

if you have an international left midfielder with good awareness then you dont need to tell them much

but if your playing him in a weird place with no instructions or if he is young and learning then you need to be specific either in system training or individually

They must have trained systems under oniel

cause the shape would change under different situations and it was pretty accurate to adapt to opposition

but it was distinctive with players who knew those particular roles

I dont see any shape like that with lennon

I cant tell what position any of our forwards are actually playing under lennon

could be totally fluid

but I suspect they just have no clue what the plan is?

our players currently dont look up on final pass or avoid final pass by just irrationally blasting ball

that didn't happen under mon

or if it did they got hooked

but no matter what our players do

lennon says its so fantastic

fantasy is correct imo

its not professional football

might get away with individual flair in scotland but it doesn't add synergy to the team

its just 11 players

add their strength together I dont think celtic are currently greater than their parts

Mon team was much better than sum of the individual players

he also had much better more experienced players and he made sure they were fit on off pitch

if your team is doing what you expect you dont need to be specific very often

MON had luxury of real international high grade players playing in positions they understood
I am still convinced it was 90% John robertson.

Just watching him now on stv news giving interview.....He looks stressed tae fuck....Deffo not feeling happy or at his best. See what TET has to say

I was stressed out to fuck the minute I saw the team I knew what was coming.
One if the BBC pundits cimmented it's a repeat if last year before the match.
Pay me 50k a week and at least I'll play a striker.
At the end if the day he picks the team.
If the strikers are unfit then why?
Polish Paddy deserved a go we had plenty if shots on target and he's shown in the two games he's scored he's got a bit if a poachers instinct one he nicked the ball from the keeper and the one against Hamilton when he bullies the defender to hit it from the tight angle.
We spent weeks chasing the lad from West Ham and now he can't play?
Where Griff he either needs to get fit and olay or get off the books so we can have some one else in.
The Want a way players aren't picking the team and he doesn't have to play them

The buck stops with him.

I was stressed out to fuck the minute I saw the team I knew what was coming.
One if the BBC pundits cimmented it's a repeat if last year before the match.
Pay me 50k a week and at least I'll play a striker.
At the end if the day he picks the team.
If the strikers are unfit then why?
Polish Paddy deserved a go we had plenty if shots on target and he's shown in the two games he's scored he's got a bit if a poachers instinct one he nicked the ball from the keeper and the one against Hamilton when he bullies the defender to hit it from the tight angle.
We spent weeks chasing the lad from West Ham and now he can't play?
Where Griff he either needs to get fit and olay or get off the books so we can have some one else in.
The Want a way players aren't picking the team and he doesn't have to play them

The buck stops with him.
Lenny is nowhere even remotely close to £2.5 mill per year???

You may be right about his wisdom, but nowhere near on salary

Back