Where do we all stand on Lenny?

We must have known all season BR was for the off first chance he got, hence the lack of spending. Lennon won't attract players, nor bring us the greater game management we will need to improve in Europe. BR had a charisma, reputation that we need to match and improve on with a new manager. Someone that commands respect, can show real tactical nous, instill belief in all around him. Sion, Utrecht etc show Lennon doesn't have these qualities

100% Behind Lenny
He is more than able and deserving, the man who's Celtic team beat Barcelona at their peak.

Because we got so lucky with circumstances, have not just forgotten Rodgers but thankful he has gone, because he was going one way or another, fed up with the passing dictate around our box which was not good to watch! and now we can even look forward to breaking up the zombies imagined safe zone, their fixed pit.

Would not have expected any Celtic team under Rodgers or for that matter almost any other manager anywhere, to get a point at the fixed sevco zombie pit, fixed so effectively no Celtic fans are allowed and referees regardless of being selected or chosen, will be intimidated and especially so if they see a intimidated Celtic and manager.

Rodgers looked meek and nervous there at that fixed game to be fair understandable, he passed that vibe on to the players, even Broony looked effected.
Rodgers never complained about the multiple joke ref decisions from the first to last minute, just took it.

Not over knocking Rodgers there, he demolished them time after time on any human pitch.

But, You'd need be a certain type of mind set to not only have no fear of overwhelming odds and extremes of hate all around you, but to be able to effectively block it out and still want to do them.

The Fraud Kings only sure string left to keep his zombie puppets dangling, has now been cut.
Can't think of a manager anywhere who could know and be ready for what's in store at that zombie pit, or one who could get a team to a mind set where they are not intimidated or fear to play, to a mind set where they are able to play surrounded on all sides by the sights and stench of zombies.

Just when the zombies were imagining moonbeams, along comes yet another rub of the Green to remind them of their place.

Last edited:
100% Behind Lenny
He is more than able and deserving, the man who's Celtic team beat Barcelona at their peak.

Because we got so lucky with circumstances, have not just forgotten Rodgers but thankful he has gone, because he was going one way or another, fed up with the passing dictate around our box which was not good to watch! and now we can even look forward to breaking up the zombies imagined safe zone, their fixed pit.

Would not have expected any Celtic team under Rodgers or for that matter almost any other manager anywhere, to get a point at the fixed sevco zombie pit, fixed so effectively no Celtic fans are allowed and referees regardless of being selected or chosen, will be intimidated and especially so if they see a intimidated Celtic and manager.

Rodgers looked meek and nervous there at that fixed game to be fair understandable, he passed that vibe on to the players, even Broony looked effected.
Rodgers never complained about the multiple joke ref decisions from the first to last minute, just took it.

Not over knocking Rodgers there, he demolished them time after time on any human pitch.

But, You'd need be a certain type of mind set to not only have no fear of overwhelming odds and extremes of hate all around you, but to be able to effectively block it out and still want to do them.

The Fraud Kings only sure string left to keep his zombie puppets dangling, has now been cut.
Can't think of a manager anywhere who could know and be ready for what's in store at that zombie pit, or one who could get a team to a mind set where they are not intimidated or fear to play, to a mind set where they are able to play surrounded on all sides by the sights and stench of zombies.

Just when the zombies were imagining moonbeams, along comes yet another rub of the Green to remind them of their place.
Yep agree and could do with a few of this lot.

Never mind what any orange b*astards do or have done (skin colour not sash)

Now that Lenny Is here what's everyone's thoughts?

I personally love Lenny and I'm excited to give him a chance again.
I'd love Steve Clarke with Lenny as assistant but I'd still be happy if Lenny was made permanent.

His passion was there for all to see yesterday and there's no political style answers just passionate ones because he genuinely loves our club and knows what it means to represent it.

I love the idea of someone who loves Celtic as much as most of us do, leading us towards the treble and potential 10.

I think we're lucky someone like him could come in like this but I'd genuinely like to hear other people's ideas on it, especially if you disagree.

Who would honestly be better other than maybe Clarke?

Think the rumour is Rose is heading for Leipzig ?his family apparently come from there,!!!
The odds have been slashed on Rose coming to Celtic. Not sure if that means anything as he’s still not anywhere near the front runner as far as the bookies are concerned.

The more I reflect on the position, the more and more I come to the conclusion that Lenny is not the ideal appointment on a permanent basis. He is, however, the perfect candidate to see out this campaign and I suspect he will run the table and win everything.

But we need to get this appointment right, and there are lots of qualified and available managers who could guide us to 10IAR and additional trebles. With the financial advantage we have over everyone else, that should be the bare minimum requirement, and I think the deciding factor ought to be how much of a difference the candidates would be able to make in Europe.

Marco Rose is, for obvious reasons, the best candidate. Smaller club in a smaller league. Made the semifinal last year. In the R16 right now. Works with a smaller budget than what we have with many of the same limitations. Yet he’s gotten amazing results in Europe two years running. Question is whether he would want to come and whether or not we could pry him out of Salzburg.

I was happy to see James make the case for Roberto Martinez today. I think that would be another great appointment, but again does he want to come and can we get him?

I like Steve Clarke, but in all honesty, he reminds me of David Moyes when he was at Everton. Always punching above his weight domestically with limited resources, but never tested on the bigger stage of European competition. Could be a great appointment... or a disaster, as viewed from the lens of Champions/Europa League. Plus I don’t think he wants the job anyway.

As for Lenny, aside from that one magical night against Barcelona, his record in Europe is mixed at best. Failed in CL qualifiers his first season and followed that up by also failing in the Europa playoff the same season. 2nd season did see us in the group stage of Europa, but had Sion not fielded ineligible players in the playoff, we would not have even made the group stage that year either. And our performance in the group stage left a lot to be desired. 3rd season saw us progress out of the CL group stage off the result of that magical night against Barca before being put to the sword by Juventus in convincing fashion. And his last season saw us score 3 goals and conceed 14 in an absolutely dreadful last place group stage performance, although at least we made the group stage!

So on that record, he had 1 successful European campaign. Were it not for Tony Watt scoring that beautiful goal, we would have finished level with Benfica on both points and goal differential, which is still a respectable result if we‘re being honest.

All-in, I do believe that Celtic can do better than Lenny once we have the time to recruit the best possible candidate. Lenny will always have his place in Celtic lore IMO, and should always be warmly received at Celtic Park, but we would be selling ourselves short by giving him the job based on his actual record.

I genuinely think he's the best man as a long term appointment. He'll tell everyone exactly how he sees it and you know the players will be getting that too. Rodgers has left behind a brilliant legacy, certainly in comparison to what Lenny had first time around. Also he seems to get under the skins of some people. I like that too.

Good points, especially last one ;)

Well whoever it is I think it may be time we looked at restructuring a bit and considered bringing in a DOF.

With respect to Lenny and Stevie Clarke they're not, as has been said above, box office names which may mean the difference in attracting a higher standard of overseas talent to the club or not. Also if we've learned one thing from BR's time it's that a buffer is needed between boardroom and dressing room and Lawell needs to distance himself a bit from transfer negotiations so if it's going to be Lenny or Stevie Clarke then I would like to see a high profile DOF brought in.

I’ve heard box office before. Turned out to be a damp scouse squib.... just sayin ?

Lenny found out two important lessons in his "gap-years".

He found out that the grass isn't always greener (haha) and that often it's a case of better the devil you know.

There well be much gnawing and gnashing of teeth when the inevitable dodgy result comes around, but we know the colour of his blood and he'll know himself if he's up to the task. If there's one thing about NFL that's not up for debate, it's his honesty and self-analysis. He knows his flaws in spite of himself and that will be invaluable to him (and the team).

There is a system of belief that suggests that managers/players should never go back. Results at other clubs would bear this out, but we are in a unique position of having a man who has battled personal adversity and knows the Club inside out.

More importantly - he is one of us and he knows what we are and what we want.

Barnes, Mowbray and Ronnie didn't quite appreciate the scale of the job. It's hard to quantify if an "outsider" would get that either.

That: "better the devil you know" thing is as relevant to us as it is to Lenny.

Stabilise the Club, give Lenny the job now!

If it were not for real celtic men we would not have a team give NL the job the worst he could do next season is what we have been in Europe under other managers. We are a million miles away from the European dream, but to get the dream and make it a reality we need first stability and stability is what Celtic men will bring if we give them time.

“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation, but it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills.”
D0zgVVUWsAU9dHC.jpg

He's matured alot and he deserves a 2nd crack at the job , what he went through before would break alot of people ,right now he is in between a rock and a hard place

Win the league win the cup a hero , lose either and there will be calls for his head .
Right from the off i said he would be the one person i would stand behind if he were to lead us into battle .

That opinion still stands

He knows the club , has the respect of the players supporters and the board and he knows how to get results in europe .The Celtic way.

Lenny found out two important lessons in his "gap-years".

He found out that the grass isn't always greener (haha) and that often it's a case of better the devil you know.

There well be much gnawing and gnashing of teeth when the inevitable dodgy result comes around, but we know the colour of his blood and he'll know himself if he's up to the task. If there's one thing about NFL that's not up for debate, it's his honesty and self-analysis. He knows his flaws in spite of himself and that will be invaluable to him (and the team).

There is a system of belief that suggests that managers/players should never go back. Results at other clubs would bear this out, but we are in a unique position of having a man who has battled personal adversity and knows the Club inside out.

More importantly - he is one of us and he knows what we are and what we want.

Barnes, Mowbray and Ronnie didn't quite appreciate the scale of the job. It's hard to quantify if an "outsider" would get that either.

That: "better the devil you know" thing is as relevant to us as it is to Lenny.

Stabilise the Club, give Lenny the job now!

Tend to agree. The name of the game is to bring home trophies, try and improve in Europe but without de-stabilising the club financially. Many of the fantasy names -Martinez, Benitez, Ranieri etc - would invariably do just that thru' their own salary alone.
Lennon is clearly the best of the SPFL level candidates (esp. given that Clarke has all but ruled himself out). A mid-range foreign based manager (even Rose) would be a huge risk in comparison and an EPL standard appointment is almost certainly a non-starter.
The one exception I would throw in would be Moyes - in a similar situation to that which BR was prior to his arrival - out of work, damaged reputation needing rebuilt etc. However we have to realise that deals like that are only ever going to be temporary, much in the same way as the loan market is to us with players like PR, OB, TW etc. Maybe thats the way forward in order to tap into higher class coaching but it will lead to a revolving door.

I’ve heard box office before. Turned out to be a damp scouse squib.... just sayin ?

Whether we care to admit it or not Maria Sevvie G is a box office name in football and there are players who will sign for them who otherwise wouldn't do if it was still the likes of Pedro or Warburton in charge. That was the whole reason King went after him in the first place, he knew it would be a factor in swaying some players to sign on the dotted line. However the overriding flaw in King's cunning plan though is box office name or not Sevvie G has zero experience in the job he was hired to do and having a famous name isn't going to compensate for that.

When I say box office I don't mean in name only. Yes I'm talking about someone of stature, someone who is recognised and respected outwith Scotland/UK who will be an added draw for players to come to Celtic but obviously that someone has to have the credentials to fulfil the role being asked of them.

HH.

Whether we care to admit it or not Maria Sevvie G is a box office name in football and there are players who will sign for them who otherwise wouldn't do if it was still the likes of Pedro or Warburton in charge. That was the whole reason King went after him in the first place, he knew it would be a factor in swaying some players to sign on the dotted line. However the overriding flaw in King's cunning plan though is box office name or not Sevvie G has zero experience in the job he was hired to do and having a famous name isn't going to compensate for that.

When I say box office I don't mean in name only. Yes I'm talking about someone of stature, someone who is recognised and respected outwith Scotland/UK who will be an added draw for players to come to Celtic but obviously that someone has to have the credentials to fulfil the role being asked of them.

HH.

Ano what your saying but i think he was a good footballer only.

Don’t know many that can respect a soup taker.

Celtics my Scottish team eh?

McAllisters running the show and what exquisite players has the soup taking box office attracted.

Strangers.

HH Andybhoy

Ano what your saying but i think he was a good footballer only.

Don’t know many that can respect a soup taker.

Celtics my Scottish team eh?

McAllisters running the show and what exquisite players has the soup taking box office attracted.

Strangers.

HH Andybhoy

I'm not saying he's in any way a good manager pal, what I'm saying is he's a big name in the footballing world and like it or not that is a draw for some players, especially younger players who grew up watching him.

Think about it, that club is a basket case in every sense and some of the players they've signed (regardless of whether we rate them or not) likely would've ran a mile and signed elsewhere if it weren't for the draw of working with 'Liverpool Legend' Sevvie G. King knows this and it's one of the main reasons he brought him in in the first place. Aside from the fact King needed something drastic to keep the gullibillies on the hook he also needed something/anything to make his shambles of a club look like a more attractive destination for players than what it was and bringing in a high profile name does that.

It's not about whether WE think he's a soup taker or whether WE respect him it's about what people outwith think and what the Sevvie hordes will lap up!

HH Maria.

Members online

Latest posts

Back