Where do we all stand on Lenny?

No arguments there pal they're still shite as big name or not Sevvie G is still clueless when it comes to being a manager but the point I'm trying to make is they'd probably be in an even worse state had they wen't for another Pedro type i.e. an unknown with no clout in UK football.

I knew that was your point about 6 posts back pal ????

Sorry about that, Andy. Not quite sure what happened.

I take your point about that older, more experienced head. I'd just be a wee bit concerned that we might just be a pension top-up for some of these lads.

Having done a wee bit of homework throughout yesterday, I was interested to find that many of the German/Austrian/Swiss DoF's are specific to that role and have bypassed potential coaching/managerial positions to focus on the various aspects of the post.

If that is a path the club are willing to go down, I think I would rather it was with someone who has chosen that career path, rather than someone being shoehorned into the position.

I guess that would eliminate Henrik from the shortlist, but I hope there would be scope to nurture him for a similar role in future.

Sorry about that, Andy. Not quite sure what happened.

I take your point about that older, more experienced head. I'd just be a wee bit concerned that we might just be a pension top-up for some of these lads.

Having done a wee bit of homework throughout yesterday, I was interested to find that many of the German/Austrian/Swiss DoF's are specific to that role and have bypassed potential coaching/managerial positions to focus on the various aspects of the post.

If that is a path the club are willing to go down, I think I would rather it was with someone who has chosen that career path, rather than someone being shoehorned into the position.

I guess that would eliminate Henrik from the shortlist, but I hope there would be scope to nurture him for a similar role in future.

We would of course need to do our due diligence on any potential candidate considered for the DOF role SP. It certainly wouldn't be a short term gig it would be a long term project so anybody looking for a short term pension top up would be ruled out immediately. We would ideally be looking for someone willing to commit to a 5 year project say.

I get that the DOF model on the continent may be headed up by people who have bypassed management/coaching roles but I think that is the wrong approach for a multitude of reasons. The main one being these types are in the mould of Congerton, they tend to compile endless streams of stats and data, use computer algorithms to analyse it all then draw their conclusions and implement their strategies based on what the software spits out. They approach everything from an academic/data analyst perspective not from a footballing perspective meaning the intangibles of football that can't be measured by mining data or entering stats into a software programme don't even figure into how they set up their strategies.

For example when compiling a list of potential transfer targets using those methods you can comb through all their stats looking at goals, assists, tackles made, goals conceded, areas of the pitch they're most effective, minutes played, length of time out injured etc. but it tells you absolutely nothing about their confidence, creativeness, determination, courage, personality, the effect they have on those around them etc. All this is disregarded because the models they're working from aren't equipped to evaluate such things. I'm not saying what these people do is irrelevant or that the stats and data they compile isn't helpful but these are people who should be working FOR a DOF not working as one.

What it boils down to is who's most suitable to implement a football strategy, an academic working off data, stats and computer models or a guy who has lived and breathed the game for decades and understands how it works in the real world as opposed to how it works on a computerised spread-sheet.

I'm not saying we specifically target Hitzfeld/Ancelotti/Trapottini for the DOF role, I'm floating the idea that someone of their standing and experience would be an ideal fit for it. Someone older who's days of taking training sessions may be winding down but who still has the passion, drive and know how to take on a role like this. Someone with a wealth of experience who's worked successfully at the top end of the game and would command the respect of everyone from the boardroom to the dressing room and has the experience negotiating the politics of both.

Someone like that would be a huge asset for the club on so many levels. A young manager like Lenny would benefit massively working with and learning from someone with that kind of knowledge and experience. Their standing in the game and the contacts they've made in their time has the potential to not only attract a better standard of manager and player to the club but a better standard of coach at every level meaning this policy of buying projects and developing them stands a better chance of success while our own homegrown players learn under the methods that work so well for clubs on the continent. Also our scouting network would benefit hugely having someone with such contacts and knowledge of the European game and their clout and stature could make a massive difference in negotiating deals for players.

I'm not saying this approach would be a magic bullet that solves all our problems, we'll still have our challenges but something like this could transform our club and combat some of the problems we face. By implementing a strategy like this and bringing the right person/people in we can take the best of what we're already doing and combine it with their methods and philosophy and maybe revolutionise our whole set-up. I genuinely think it's something worth considering at the very least.

HH SP.

We would of course need to do our due diligence on any potential candidate considered for the DOF role SP. It certainly wouldn't be a short term gig it would be a long term project so anybody looking for a short term pension top up would be ruled out immediately. We would ideally be looking for someone willing to commit to a 5 year project say.

I get that the DOF model on the continent may be headed up by people who have bypassed management/coaching roles but I think that is the wrong approach for a multitude of reasons. The main one being these types are in the mould of Congerton, they tend to compile endless streams of stats and data, use computer algorithms to analyse it all then draw their conclusions and implement their strategies based on what the software spits out. They approach everything from an academic/data analyst perspective not from a footballing perspective meaning the intangibles of football that can't be measured by mining data or entering stats into a software programme don't even figure into how they set up their strategies.

For example when compiling a list of potential transfer targets using those methods you can comb through all their stats looking at goals, assists, tackles made, goals conceded, areas of the pitch they're most effective, minutes played, length of time out injured etc. but it tells you absolutely nothing about their confidence, creativeness, determination, courage, personality, the effect they have on those around them etc. All this is disregarded because the models they're working from aren't equipped to evaluate such things. I'm not saying what these people do is irrelevant or that the stats and data they compile isn't helpful but these are people who should be working FOR a DOF not working as one.

What it boils down to is who's most suitable to implement a football strategy, an academic working off data, stats and computer models or a guy who has lived and breathed the game for decades and understands how it works in the real world as opposed to how it works on a computerised spread-sheet.

I'm not saying we specifically target Hitzfeld/Ancelotti/Trapottini for the DOF role, I'm floating the idea that someone of their standing and experience would be an ideal fit for it. Someone older who's days of taking training sessions may be winding down but who still has the passion, drive and know how to take on a role like this. Someone with a wealth of experience who's worked successfully at the top end of the game and would command the respect of everyone from the boardroom to the dressing room and has the experience negotiating the politics of both.

Someone like that would be a huge asset for the club on so many levels. A young manager like Lenny would benefit massively working with and learning from someone with that kind of knowledge and experience. Their standing in the game and the contacts they've made in their time has the potential to not only attract a better standard of manager and player to the club but a better standard of coach at every level meaning this policy of buying projects and developing them stands a better chance of success while our own homegrown players learn under the methods that work so well for clubs on the continent. Also our scouting network would benefit hugely having someone with such contacts and knowledge of the European game and their clout and stature could make a massive difference in negotiating deals for players.

I'm not saying this approach would be a magic bullet that solves all our problems, we'll still have our challenges but something like this could transform our club and combat some of the problems we face. By implementing a strategy like this and bringing the right person/people in we can take the best of what we're already doing and combine it with their methods and philosophy and maybe revolutionise our whole set-up. I genuinely think it's something worth considering at the very least.

HH SP.
I'd be inclined to give you the job, Andy!

That is a post-and-a-half and it's sold it to me.

When you get the gig, can you get me a couple of concessions?

I'd be inclined to give you the job, Andy!

That is a post-and-a-half and it's sold it to me.

When you get the gig, can you get me a couple of concessions?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We'd be relegated in my first season SP.

Seriously though we need a new approach and with all the constraints we have as a club we need to start exploring different ways we can combat some of the problems we face. Fed up going round in circles having the same old debates about finances, transfer policies, CEO's, poor management decisions etc.

Easy to moan about our problems about time we started coming up with some solutions to them.

HH SP.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We'd be relegated in my first season SP.

Seriously though we need a new approach and with all the constraints we have as a club we need to start exploring different ways we can combat some of the problems we face. Fed up going round in circles having the same old debates about finances, transfer policies, CEO's, poor management decisions etc.

Easy to moan about our problems about time we started coming up with some solutions to them.

HH SP.
That's very true and although blame can be apportioned, sometimes it's easier just to point fingers and moan for the sake of moaning.

God knows, I do it often enough myself.

The Ajax result last night puts our current position into perspective. We're still enjoying the novelty of being the all-conquering superpower in Scottish football, but we will eventually get left further and further behind if that remains our sole ambition.

Salzburg and Ajax have shown that you don't have to spend outrageous amounts of money, but sensible investment in infrastructure, youth and first-team ready players can reap short-term and long-term rewards.

There is enormous scrutiny and pressure in managing Celtic. I've come fully around to the idea that we need to cushion the impact of that and a good, solid Director of Football may be the first step in actually exceeding our potential.

That's very true and although blame can be apportioned, sometimes it's easier just to point fingers and moan for the sake of moaning.

The Ajax result last night puts our current position into perspective. We're still enjoying the novelty of being the all-conquering superpower in Scottish football, but we will eventually get left further and further behind if that remains our sole ambition.

Salzburg and Ajax have shown that you don't have to spend outrageous amounts of money, but sensible investment in infrastructure, youth and first-team ready players can reap short-term and long-term rewards.

There is enormous scrutiny and pressure in managing Celtic. I've come fully around to the idea that we need to cushion the impact of that and a good, solid Director of Football may be the first step in actually exceeding our potential.

Sound post SP. too sound. ???

Wheres ma partner in crime wi the bantz. You grew up n got sensible.

Me am a lost cause ???

There's certainly people and policies to blame for some of our failings SP and things do need to change at the club imo, the club needs to start looking at alternative ways to address and combat the problems we face instead of just carrying on the way we're doing as it's hindering our progress and putting a limit on our potential.

I'm fed up listening to myself moaning about Lawell, transfer policies etc. and I'm sure those who disagree with me are equally fed up listening to it :LOL: I believe there are valid and not so valid points made on both sides of the debate but we're going round in circles debating the same old points with the same old arguments and it gets us nowhere. The DOF idea opens up a new debate and may address a lot of the concerns on both sides.

Salzburg and Ajax have shown that there are things we can do to overcome some of the problems we face as a club, they're in similar positions to ourselves and maybe combining some of their practices with some new ideas of our own is the best way forward. Either way the debate has to move on and fresh ideas are needed.

HH. SP

Back