Celtic v Kilmarnock, 3pm Celtic Park Saturday 17 February 2024

I remember being at Celtic Park the night Dixie deans missed in a penalty shootout v Inter Milan. I was sick that night for months after I still couldn't look at an Italian restaurant and chippy. In the end got over it had to live goes on, but at that time I was hurting big time. Come May I believe we will be celebrating a double. 🍀🍀
I thought we would be celebrating a double at the end of the season as well- but that was last week😂
It changes every week. We’ll just have to wait and see.

While I agree that we aren't easy on the eye, I also think it mostly comes down to having wingers, and to some extent, fullbacks who are incapable of doin' their job.

There was more than enough service to our wide players yesterday, just as there is most games. All the service came to nothing.
I suspect its because they are doing exactly what he wants done.

Any manager not getting his plan played drops or subs off the player. Doesnt matter who he picks they all follow his plan which doesnt create many shots for our best strikers of ball.

Our wingers are still best wingers in league.

But the plan rodgers tells them to execute, imo is the problem.

Ive never seen any rodgers teams with wingers who do what Celtic fans expect a winger to do.

Same with the defensive plan b

wingers who cut inside rather than cross, more like inside forwards
No point in crossing high anyway because we dont have much aerial prowess
bypass the striker, use him more as decoy to give chances to incoming midfielders into box

except our best striker used as decoy rather than the target to get shots on target.

no passing into spaces, so our speed players are nullified coz they arent really dribblers

passing to man rather than space requires very accurate passing to implement his prefered style of management

which is to use ball and tire out opposition

but when you arent accurate enough with passing or fast enough at passing it

you often tire out your own players, not opposition. waste lots of time trying to get ball back with guys who arent really good at ball winning and gift good opportunities to counter attacking players.

its not the players

its the suboptimal style against inferior players that is repeated week in week out.

he isnt a manager. he is a coach and he doesnt appear to understand how to get best out of players who dont fit his coaching requirements

Had bad feeling when they even thought about bringing him back.

had high risk of going pearshaped.

Board should go.

not because they are penny pinching

But because they picked a manger who doesnt have skillset to manage a club in Scotland under a strict budget.

they wanted him, they should have given hom players who can play his coaching style.

they brought back a guy detested by lot of support
They paid him monster wage
They gave him no real new players and a squad of players who play a completely different style to what rodgers coaches.

in time they may get better at his style, but they will never be good team in his style at best proficient but sub optimal for their talents in game.

Partly the point I’m making is look at the goals and assists from your bit part players Giakoumakis turnbull and Abada that they gave us. Turnbull had certainly lost his way this season but still gave us 7 goals. Who comes in to replace him even?
I get Rodgers is not totally blameless but our recruitment has made us regress at an alarming rate especially with the said players that are out injured.
With Starfelt it’s not until you don’t have something that you realise what you had. Him and CCV were absolutely solid.
Now we have Welsh and Scales. Welsh is nowhere near good enough.
The wingers we had Abada and Jota Maeda(been terrible since injury)and even Haksabanovic who last season was a great impact sub have been replaced by inferior players.
I just feel before we want managers sacked we need to get to the root/cause of the problem and that is Lawwell x2 Nicholson ( the silent man) and our absent Land Lord who has watched on and seen Lawwell make a complete Arse of things time and time again and let us stay static at best. No Vision No ambition not a care does he give to the fans.
I’ve had a season ticket since I was 18 I’m now 50 I’ve bought the European packages every year shopped in the celtic shop for every bit of merchandise for my kids and nephews, I’ve stopped going to the super store or shops I said at the start of January depending on recruitment from then til the summer will be a deciding factor of getting the European package (IF we get there now). I have had more than enough of being treated like a bit of shite from this board ripping us off as best they can at every opportunity. They can’t even speak to us in any shape of form until they want money off us.
I just hope that I don’t get that possession off with them that I end up giving my ST up. It’s time for a clear out of the dinosaur grey brigade and bring people in with a Vision and ambition to drive this club to its limits.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's well documented on here what I think of lawell and Co.
But the buck stops with Rodgers when it comes to tactics and naming the team. I agree that turnbull done a job a lot of the time he came on, but what happened him this season under Rodgers? Who's fault is that? I also thought that mikey Johnson could've done a job, but Rodgers got rid of both of them. He also wanted rid of scales, who only because of injuries would be at Aberdeen. Imagine what state our defence would be in now if Rodgers had to follow through with that one.
We could argue back and forth all day and we won't change each others views on the situation.
The bottom line is that Rodgers controls the day to day running of the team and is making a poor hand of it at the minute. His style of play is outdated, slow and predictable and teams have figured out that if they frustrate celtic then all they need is one or two attacks and they'll score. This is exactly what was happening towards the end of his last stint at celtic. The game has evolved since that, but he hasn't.
Surely that's down to the manager and his backroom team?

Am getting sick of hearing how I’m spoilt,and had too much success???a pay a fair whack for two season books+european tickets+Scottish cup+ merchandise every year for going on forty years!!and I’ll do the exact same win lose or draw next season and on and on……..wit a don’t need is getting this shite shovelled doon ma throat about being precious!!a don’t expect to win everything every year,wit a do expect is my team to play a certain brand and for to be competitive and competing for “all” the trophy’s that are up for grabs..if not?lower the prices of season tickets…a wont go to ma graft on Monday morning and one of my mates cuts something 20mm short and we all give him a round of applause for fuckin up??naw he will get dogs abuse as it should be??and next time he’ll get it right!!!……just for the record I’m not a happy clapper,it breeds apathy…
You must be goin soft bigman. If you cut something 20mm short where I come from it would be hopped aff your head.

I suspect its because they are doing exactly what he wants done.

Any manager not getting his plan played drops or subs off the player. Doesnt matter who he picks they all follow his plan which doesnt create many shots for our best strikers of ball.

Our wingers are still best wingers in league.

But the plan rodgers tells them to execute, imo is the problem.

Ive never seen any rodgers teams with wingers who do what Celtic fans expect a winger to do.

Same with the defensive plan b

wingers who cut inside rather than cross, more like inside forwards
No point in crossing high anyway because we dont have much aerial prowess
bypass the striker, use him more as decoy to give chances to incoming midfielders into box

except our best striker used as decoy rather than the target to get shots on target.

no passing into spaces, so our speed players are nullified coz they arent really dribblers

passing to man rather than space requires very accurate passing to implement his prefered style of management

which is to use ball and tire out opposition

but when you arent accurate enough with passing or fast enough at passing it

you often tire out your own players, not opposition. waste lots of time trying to get ball back with guys who arent really good at ball winning and gift good opportunities to counter attacking players.

its not the players

its the suboptimal style against inferior players that is repeated week in week out.

he isnt a manager. he is a coach and he doesnt appear to understand how to get best out of players who dont fit his coaching requirements

Had bad feeling when they even thought about bringing him back.

had high risk of going pearshaped.

Board should go.

not because they are penny pinching

But because they picked a manger who doesnt have skillset to manage a club in Scotland under a strict budget.

they wanted him, they should have given hom players who can play his coaching style.

they brought back a guy detested by lot of support
They paid him monster wage
They gave him no real new players and a squad of players who play a completely different style to what rodgers coaches.

in time they may get better at his style, but they will never be good team in his style at best proficient but sub optimal for their talents in game.
Best post I’ve read all weekend well done👍

Been somewhat incapacitated recently but watching the text coming in from Celtic park yesterday it was so obvious that Kilmarnock were going to score from about 70 minutes I did my crystal ball reading and predicted the draw.
Same old same old something or more likely someone has to change.
Sort it Rodgers ( see Sandman for further)
HH

You have to to say Shadow the PL statement of history tells us that planning for not qualifying for the CL is beginning to look suspect given it was at our last shareholder meeting when we had just won a treble and declared a profit of 75mil versus their loss of probably 14mil....all be it they would do their usual and lie about the figure. Tax fraud anybody???
And here we are all of a sudden handing over 60million to an already prosecuted entity to make sure they protect the brand of Scottish football......it doesn't take much level of intelligence to see there is an attempt to level both sides of the brand here.
A brand that is only recognised by one side of course .

As someone else said, I thought when Taylor went off we'd see Rocky come on, and Scales move to left back, just shows how much I know, as a few have said, it looks as though we are throwing the league away to help keep the 'Old Firm' brand alive for the SFA, Lawell and the rest can go any time, and take BR and his stiflingly boring tactics with them, this is not the Celtic who would blow away opposition week in, week out, and as I have said before, if I was Vata or Frame or the young guys coming through, I'd be chapping the managers door and getting out of Dodge as these performance from the usual suspects frustrates the fuck out of me/us, let alone our young guys sitting watching from the bench HH

I really really don't want to believe that this baffling behaviour from our board is about keeping the 'Old F*rm' brand alive because if that's true then these acts of self-sabotage aren't just down to what I've always suspected about this board but point to something far worse and far more insidious!

My take has always been that they are greedy old suits with no genuine vision or real plan to take our club forward, that they are ruthless businessmen who's suspect behaviours over the years points to their true ambition of implementing a strategy that by design stifles and limits the club's potential in order to create a risk free environment with substantial rewards that steadily tops up the bank balances of themselves and their fellow shareholders/investors.

Whatever the truth may be, what's not in doubt is that Celtic will never reach it's true potential whilst under their control.

HH Bhoys ;)(y)

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's well documented on here what I think of lawell and Co.
But the buck stops with Rodgers when it comes to tactics and naming the team. I agree that turnbull done a job a lot of the time he came on, but what happened him this season under Rodgers? Who's fault is that? I also thought that mikey Johnson could've done a job, but Rodgers got rid of both of them. He also wanted rid of scales, who only because of injuries would be at Aberdeen. Imagine what state our defence would be in now if Rodgers had to follow through with that one.
We could argue back and forth all day and we won't change each others views on the situation.
The bottom line is that Rodgers controls the day to day running of the team and is making a poor hand of it at the minute. His style of play is outdated, slow and predictable and teams have figured out that if they frustrate celtic then all they need is one or two attacks and they'll score. This is exactly what was happening towards the end of his last stint at celtic. The game has evolved since that, but he hasn't.
Surely that's down to the manager and his backroom team?
The transfer windows baffled me in more ways than one
Mikey J
While he wasn’t a long term answer, out of a zillion wingers, he was the only one who had any life in him at all and we got shot. Madness

Turnbull
He wouldn’t have been in an 11 over any of our central midfielders but he had a goal in him against the muck we’re struggling to break down and dropping points to

Am getting sick of hearing how I’m spoilt,and had too much success???a pay a fair whack for two season books+european tickets+Scottish cup+ merchandise every year for going on forty years!!and I’ll do the exact same win lose or draw next season and on and on……..wit a don’t need is getting this shite shovelled doon ma throat about being precious!!a don’t expect to win everything every year,wit a do expect is my team to play a certain brand and for to be competitive and competing for “all” the trophy’s that are up for grabs..if not?lower the prices of season tickets…a wont go to ma graft on Monday morning and one of my mates cuts something 20mm short and we all give him a round of applause for fuckin up??naw he will get dogs abuse as it should be??and next time he’ll get it right!!!……just for the record I’m not a happy clapper,it breeds apathy…
You're not wrong mate, if you don't try a leg at work, your workmates will rip you a new one, the team needs guys like Broony and Barry Robson 'having a word' the players need to know that we need the same passion from them, as they see from the fans...CalMac (love the guy) in the huddle, I see him waving his arm and giving the 'speech' but are any of the players actually buying in, apart from the home grown ones, Ralston, Welsh, Taylor, Jamesie (remember when he would get a game ?) There's no cohesion in the squad imho, and the intensity is missing during games, I thought yesterday we came out with intent, then second half we looked like a beaten team, no fight, and yes I blame BR, his so called tactics, his selection etc, and the subs, for not taking their opportunity when given, to become the first name on the team sheet every week, we're hurting right now and the board needs a revamp as there's too many who know fuck all about football, sitting on it, and are, as Roy Keane put it "Into the prawn sandwiches in their plush boxes" Soap box put away, rant over...for now... FTH

A don’t like giving they cunts any credit whatsoever,but they done right by there team in the winter shut down by taking there staff players and others away to warmer weather training and bonding,,it seems to have paid off….while brendan decided that our lads would stay here with there families and freeze there balls aff still putting in training at Baltic lennoxtown amidst two blizzards👍nice one…probably brendan was in Majorca with his family??

A don’t like giving they cunts any credit whatsoever,but they done right by there team in the winter shut down by taking there staff players and others away to warmer weather training and bonding,,it seems to have paid off….while brendan decided that our lads would stay here with there families and freeze there balls aff still putting in training at Baltic lennoxtown amidst two blizzards👍nice one…probably brendan was in Majorca with his family??
Probably board said stay home, we're saving oor money for Peters heating bill.😞

WC should put that up as an article. HH spot on Esp.

I honestly think Rodgers should go because the football is terrible.
How he can be satisfied with the last transfer window is beyond me.
But I’m also going to contradict myself, by saying the next manager will still have to deal with this useless board.
But maybe the football would be better to look at.
How can Rodgers keep on playing Bernabi? Get young Frame in.
I know we’ve had injuries but Rodgers has stuck to the same squad/ team every week, no matter how bad they play. There are players who are just not given a chance.

I honestly think Rodgers should go because the football is terrible.
How he can be satisfied with the last transfer window is beyond me.
But I’m also going to contradict myself, by saying the next manager will still have to deal with this useless board.
But maybe the football would be better to look at.
How can Rodgers keep on playing Bernabi? Get young Frame in.
I know we’ve had injuries but Rodgers has stuck to the same squad/ team every week, no matter how bad they play. There are players who are just not given a chance.
Unfortunately dungloe we're in the middle of a tight title race, no room for youngsters at this moment in time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back