Kilmarnock v Celtic match thread

Not sure whether I'll ever be calm enough to offer a reasonable opinion on that omnishambles of a clusterfcuk but here goes.

Jullien needs sorting out and in double quick time! Last week, despite it being a 5-1 win, he was a bomb scare at the back, winning the square root of feck all in the air and about the same on the deck.

Elyounoussi had a decent showing last week after failing to impress me on most of his previous outings. He was back to his unimpressive best yesterday. I can't see what the fuss is over this guy at all. Just my opinion but, at present, I'm not a fan. I'd love for him to come good and prove me wrong mind you.

Barkas was solid enough. He handled everything that came his way pretty well for a first outing with new teammates on an p1ss stained rug of a pitch.

Brown didn't have his best game and it might be worth pitching in Soro now and again as he was very impressive during pre season. He's probably got a better engine than Brown has these days, plus he's desperate to make an impact. Brown still has plenty to offer though on most days.

Everyone else was fairly mediocre and couldn't see one that stood out.

Finally, something has to be done by the football authorities, whether it's UEFA or FIFA, something needs to happen when it comes to standardising playing surfaces and conditions.

Tennis, Table Tennis, Squash, Snooker, Pool, Basketball, NFL, Badminton etc etc are all played on standard sized surfaces.

Killie took yards off that pitch in width AND length and refused to water it so that the ball wouldn't run smoothly, therefore producing the worst possible game you could have on that pitch, that day.

We're trying to talk up our game and make it appealing to advertisers and fans alike so surely deliberately trying to SPOIL a game should be abhorrent to most football fans.

We had the same when Hearts refused to cut the grass ensuring a quality game was nowhere to be seen.

Football teams should be made to have pitches at a pre determined size and grass should be cut to a certain length to facilitate playing the game to the highest level at all times!

AND ASTRO TURF CAN KISS MY RING!
Great rant! 👏 🍺🥳

Was in conversation,with the voices in ma heid regarding our performance,we were all in agreement, it was pish, but pretty much standard,previously,we had a sense of relief by scraping wins, it papered over the cracks, that for some reason,we can't perform on artificial surfaces,like a self fulfilling prophecy,we expect to be pish,so we are pish,have any of us expected to see us playing good football at any of these grounds? me and the voices said,naw!,is this filtering through to the players,it's not one or two players who seem to be affected,it's the whole fecking team,every time we play on one of those pitches,having said that,thought Bolingoli played well when he came on🍺🥳

Good post, Khenny, some great points
What I don't understand is, if west of Scotland teams can have grass, why not Kilmarnock ?
Grounds crews all over Scotland can get pitches ready, what's the deal with these plastic LegoLand carpets ?
Murder on the knees, ever try and slide tackle on it ?
If drainage is a problem, get it sorted
The game should be played on grass, plain and simple
And it might be time for Soro, to get his chance, he looks as though he's got a bit of steel to him, from the videos I've seen
Hopefully, we bounce back on Wednesday, and make St. Mirren pay for our mistakes today
HH

Good post, Khenny, some great points
What I don't understand is, if west of Scotland teams can have grass, why not Kilmarnock ?
Grounds crews all over Scotland can get pitches ready, what's the deal with these plastic LegoLand carpets ?
Murder on the knees, ever try and slide tackle on it ?
If drainage is a problem, get it sorted
The game should be played on grass, plain and simple
And it might be time for Soro, to get his chance, he looks as though he's got a bit of steel to him, from the videos I've seen
Hopefully, we bounce back on Wednesday, and make St. Mirren pay for our mistakes today
HH
The pitches are moneymaker D,games, events, concerts,plus community involvement ,boys,youths,amateur games,with no degradation to the surface,Killie don't give a monkeys about the sensibilities of teams who want to play 'real' football,but in my humble opinion, they should be banned in the top division

Killy have gained from their pitch for years, they use the pitch for points not the players, having said that we should still have enough in the locker to take care of them, Jullien caused us the game thats not for debate, but remember the Huns still have to go there and more or likely on a dreary afternoon with the usual wind and rain causing havoc with play so the point may yet not be a bad point, we have to come up with a game plan for these games that allows us better use of the ball as we will have to again face the same dilemma with Livingstone and Hamilton sooner rather than later, trying to pass through the defense on the 18 yard line doesn't work as they congest that area, wide play with better quality balls into the box and shoot from the 18 yards rather than trying to thread through a pass would bring better results. onward and upward as we will still be 3 points clear come the first meeting with the scum.

Not our best game, to be sure, 50. We should stick to a 3-5-2, obviously, but it's always difficult when the opposition is playing a 10-0-0 and we gift them a penalty. Good to get a bad game out of our system early.

Agree about 352 , however when imho 9 out of 10 outfield players have a mare the format applied is irrelevant.

Greg Taylor was the only player I would give any credence to in that game, and before anyone comes on and says aye but he is used to that pitch . So is Ajer and he was found wanting .

Killie played mostly the long ball game and our CBS never coped, when they played short or midrange passes it was either played in front of their players or lifted off the pitch so it wouldn't hold, how many times did a Killie player intercept a forward pass from us? Easily a dozen times. We dont adapt our style of play to these pitches and inevitably suffer because of it. That to me is bad coaching.

H.H

We lost our way after the penalty,the defence looked very shaky did not cope well with long balls,the forwards were too busy looking backwards,Killie stayed in defence until thier forward got the ball but as soon as they lost it it was back to defence enmas,trying to shoot at goal on dry plastic would act like a brake and thier keeper spent more time with the ball than some of thier players,haveing said that we did not play well and never have on plastic but a point gained is better than three lost by the way what's the thought on the penalty I think he dived onto the pitch??? May be wrong but think he was off the pitch when he tripped??

Last edited:
We lost our way after the penalty,the defence looked very shaky did not cope well with long balls,the forwards were too busy looking backwards,Killie stayed in defence until thier forward got the ball but as soon as they lost it it was back to defence enmas,trying to shoot at goal on dry plastic would act like a brake and thier keeper spent more time with the ball than some of thier players,haveing said that we did not play well and never have on plastic but a point gained is better than three lost by the way what's the thought on the penalty I think he dived onto the pitch??? May be wrong but think he was off the pitch when he tripped??
Stonewall pen I thought mate.

Not sure whether I'll ever be calm enough to offer a reasonable opinion on that omnishambles of a clusterfcuk but here goes.

Jullien needs sorting out and in double quick time! Last week, despite it being a 5-1 win, he was a bomb scare at the back, winning the square root of feck all in the air and about the same on the deck.

Elyounoussi had a decent showing last week after failing to impress me on most of his previous outings. He was back to his unimpressive best yesterday. I can't see what the fuss is over this guy at all. Just my opinion but, at present, I'm not a fan. I'd love for him to come good and prove me wrong mind you.

Barkas was solid enough. He handled everything that came his way pretty well for a first outing with new teammates on an p1ss stained rug of a pitch.

Brown didn't have his best game and it might be worth pitching in Soro now and again as he was very impressive during pre season. He's probably got a better engine than Brown has these days, plus he's desperate to make an impact. Brown still has plenty to offer though on most days.

Everyone else was fairly mediocre and couldn't see one that stood out.

Finally, something has to be done by the football authorities, whether it's UEFA or FIFA, something needs to happen when it comes to standardising playing surfaces and conditions.

Tennis, Table Tennis, Squash, Snooker, Pool, Basketball, NFL, Badminton etc etc are all played on standard sized surfaces.

Killie took yards off that pitch in width AND length and refused to water it so that the ball wouldn't run smoothly, therefore producing the worst possible game you could have on that pitch, that day.

We're trying to talk up our game and make it appealing to advertisers and fans alike so surely deliberately trying to SPOIL a game should be abhorrent to most football fans.

We had the same when Hearts refused to cut the grass ensuring a quality game was nowhere to be seen.

Football teams should be made to have pitches at a pre determined size and grass should be cut to a certain length to facilitate playing the game to the highest level at all times!

AND ASTRO TURF CAN KISS MY RING!
A lot of excellent points Khenny. I am also puzzled that football doesn't have a fixed size of pitch.

Many clubs in Scotland are now reliant on income from their astroturf pitches as they are used by the community often 5, 6 or 7 days a week. Although not ideal I wouldn't have a big problem with them in the top division (except Livi's awful older style plastic) as long as the clubs did not deliberately misuse them when bigger teams visit. These pitches MUST be watered thoroughly before each half to ensure that they perform correctly otherwise the ball gets held up on the surface, the bounces are wrong and it is more of a hazard to the safety of players.

By deliberately refusing to use these pitches correctly when better teams visit them is essentially abusing the rules to gain an unfair advantage. At the moment it is not breaking the rules, but this should be tightened up IMO otherwise we are left with that awful spectacle.

No wonder Scottish fitba is considered a joke when teams can legally pull stunts like misusing plastic pitches or leaving the grass 3 times longer than normal to deliberately stop attractive football.

Yesterday was a wake up call regarding signings and tactics. I hope we listen to it. I dont blame the pitch, we have won there before. It was just a day when every single player had a nightmare. It told me Griff needs to get fit and play alongside Eddy. That we need a left side CB. It's always a ball parter dropping points, but 2 games in should focus the minds. They sevco cunts didnt become good because we played really poorly. Let the deluded cunts think they've won it. They have done this every year since they came back from beyond the bankrupt grave. Over to Lenny to sort it with new blood and back to 3 5 2.

dont know if you noticed but Julliens first challenge was on the by line, the ball actually went out of play, jullien was asking for the shy whilst chasing him down.

Reading the orgasmic nature of the reports surrounding our disappointing draw slipping 2pts behind sevco having played 2 games makes me laugh , my blood boil , and of course extremely disappointed. All of that said does anyone really believe that sevco will go the season unbeaten? No me either , not even my sevco pals are getting carried away although their club are. Invincible season was a once in umpteen lifetimes , indeed it wont happen again ever imo. This will be one long , possibly covid interrupted season with many twists and turns. I dont think we played our best XI or formation, we know before we start what killie will offer. If it's a case of protecting players from that surface then why did barkas get his debut on it? Bain should've started that game in my mind. No need to panic yet either though lenny has surely strengthened his hand on the transfer front. Lawell simply has to open the chequebook for him and get our deals done. Only celtic would go into the most important league season short handed. We know this from experience and releasing Jozo looks a blunder already ( though he probably wouldnt have played on that excuse for a pitch) this could actually be a blessing in disguise for us , we are all too much focused on the ten we must remember how difficult that will be to achieve, back to one game at a time , back down to earth with a bang and I think its come at the perfect time. Let's get cracking on with it no more talk of the ten sevco are genuine contenders this season though I still think we'll take it let's not allow complacency to creep in. HH

Reading the orgasmic nature of the reports surrounding our disappointing draw slipping 2pts behind sevco having played 2 games makes me laugh , my blood boil , and of course extremely disappointed. All of that said does anyone really believe that sevco will go the season unbeaten? No me either , not even my sevco pals are getting carried away although their club are. Invincible season was a once in umpteen lifetimes , indeed it wont happen again ever imo. This will be one long , possibly covid interrupted season with many twists and turns. I dont think we played our best XI or formation, we know before we start what killie will offer. If it's a case of protecting players from that surface then why did barkas get his debut on it? Bain should've started that game in my mind. No need to panic yet either though lenny has surely strengthened his hand on the transfer front. Lawell simply has to open the chequebook for him and get our deals done. Only celtic would go into the most important league season short handed. We know this from experience and releasing Jozo looks a blunder already ( though he probably wouldnt have played on that excuse for a pitch) this could actually be a blessing in disguise for us , we are all too much focused on the ten we must remember how difficult that will be to achieve, back to one game at a time , back down to earth with a bang and I think its come at the perfect time. Let's get cracking on with it no more talk of the ten sevco are genuine contenders this season though I still think we'll take it let's not allow complacency to creep in. HH

it's only the 2nd game of a long season and to some it's over and done with

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back