Neil Lennon v Roberto Martinez

Im sure he would but i personally think another season or 2 doing what hes been doing for Bournemouth will get him a crack at europe from an EPL side pochetinno looks likely to be moving on to a side that wins things soon so there's possibilities for Howe in the EPL at clubs like spurs and Everton with plenty cash as well
sooner or later they will good point mate?

Neither would be my first choice.

Martinez seems like a bit of a romantic for me, - a bit like Rodgers, he wants to play attacking/pass for pass sake football, even if we were playing Barcelona. Naive.

I love what Lennon has done for the club, he’s more street wise, and very good in the transfer market, including when he was at Hibs.

I just don’t think he’s as good as we could get, - if we really pushed the boat out and were prepared to ask the right questions.

Celtic are more highly regarded throughout Europe than some make out.

Guys like Adi Hutter(ex Red Bull Salzburg) at Frankfurt, Setién at Real Betis, and Gasperini at Atalanta are all at smaller clubs in their leagues, but are gettable.

There’s a lot of excellent managers in Europe that supposedly bigger clubs never quite take the risk on.

Bielsa ending up at Leeds is a recent example.

Martinez seems like a bit of a romantic for me, - a bit like Rodgers, he wants to play attacking/pass for pass sake football, even if we were playing Barcelona. Naive.

I love what Lennon has done for the club, he’s more street wise, and very good in the transfer market, including when he was at Hibs.

I just don’t think he’s as good as we could get, - if we really pushed the boat out and were prepared to ask the right questions.

Guys like Adi Hutter(ex Red Bull Salzburg) at Frankfurt, Setién at Real Betis, and Gasperini at Atalanta are all at smaller clubs in their leagues, but are gettable.

There’s a lot of excellent managers in Europe that supposedly bigger clubs never quite take the risk on.

Great point it's the spfl thats holding us back. In world football Celtic is a gargantuan club our division is not and holds us back. Weve also done quite well in the past with foreign managers bar 1 dud with Barnes. I also think that we can get better than lenny , though he's not a bad choice especially now and has a plan B in europe. If its to be lenny I sincerely hope that John Parks also returns

next up protest outside hampden for them
View attachment 1972
There's 2 ways of looking at why they don't have a player in the squad. Is it because they don't have a player in the team that's good enough to take on the giants of world football Kazakhstan and San Marino? Or, is it because big eck knows that they have a massive game coming up on the back of these two massive fixtures that takes players over the hills and far away to the Chinese border almost? It's got to be both because no matter how dire they are eck would still pick one so as not to offend the peepull. Blatant as f*c*

Can't believe some of the names being bandied about as possible new managers. Eddie Howe, Benitez etc, there's no way they'd get the same money here as they would in the EPL or Championship and in the Championship jobs become vacant on a regular basis. It's a no-brainer that they wouldn't up sticks and move to Scotland.

Much as I admire Lenny I still think we should keep moving forward instead of backwards and if we can attract someone like wee Roberto Martinez then he would be my preferred option. Of course EPL clubs might tempt him away if he's successful but that could happen with any successful Celtic manager.

Can't believe some of the names being bandied about as possible new managers. Eddie Howe, Benitez etc, there's no way they'd get the same money here as they would in the EPL or Championship and in the Championship jobs become vacant on a regular basis. It's a no-brainer that they wouldn't up sticks and move to Scotland.

Much as I admire Lenny I still think we should keep moving forward instead of backwards and if we can attract someone like wee Roberto Martinez then he would be my preferred option. Of course EPL clubs might tempt him away if he's successful but that could happen with any successful Celtic manager.

Well said, think we must look forward definately, lenny til the seasons end but if there is a high profile successful manager available we have to move on that else we put ourselves in danger of repeating the same mistakes of the past in standing still allowing others to get closer when we should be out of sight permanently. Martinez has a suitable style for Celtic attack minded. I'd certainly fancy his chances of success with Celtic and have him in a heartbeat.

Spurs 9 -1 Wigan.

Barca 6-1 Celtic

At least Lenny's biggest defeat was to a Messi-led rout against a Celtic side already out with numerous changes and an experimental system.

Martinez style is similar to Rodgers - all open, plan A, hope for the best. He's blessed with class players in the Belgium set-up to get away with it more often than not.
But they got caught v Japan in the Wc and nearly blew it, and recently Switzerland roasted them 5-2.

Some people on here talk about green and white blood and guys being Celtic men. It's not good enough to have those traits if you're if you can't deliver the goods. Sure it's a bonus but look at BR? Was big Jock brought up a Celtic man? What about Bill Shankley? A true Liverpool fan fron birth?
I only want the best guy for the job full stop.
HH?

Amen to that Steviebhoy! Very well said (y)

This

If it was my personal choice it would be neither but if it was between the two then it would be Lenny every day of the week for me.

Martinez has some of the best footballers in the world at his disposal as Belgium manager so I don't see how his achievements on that front translate to him being a good fit at Celtic and although he was decent at Wigan he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at Everton. As for him being high profile/big name. Really? :confused: Martinez is NOT a step up from Lenny imo so what would be the point?

As for John Kennedy being a future Celtic manager? Based on what?

If JK left Celtic and became a manager in his own right, worked his way up the ladder in management and was successful then sure he may become a viable candidate as Celtic manager sometime in the future but until that happens he shouldn't be anywhere near the job.

Having a 'Celtic man' as manager should be seen as an added bonus but it certainly shouldn't be a requirement.

Spurs 9 -1 Wigan.

Barca 6-1 Celtic

At least Lenny's biggest defeat was to a Messi-led rout against a Celtic side already out with numerous changes and an experimental system.

Martinez style is similar to Rodgers - all open, plan A, hope for the best. He's blessed with class players in the Belgium set-up to get away with it more often than not.
But they got caught v Japan in the Wc and nearly blew it,
If it was my personal choice it would be neither but if it was between the two then it would be Lenny every day of the week for me.

Martinez has some of the best footballers in the world at his disposal as Belgium manager so I don't see how his achievements on that front translate to him being a good fit at Celtic and although he was decent at Wigan he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at Everton. As for him being high profile/big name. Really? :confused: Martinez is NOT a step up from Lenny imo so what would be the point?

As for John Kennedy being a future Celtic manager? Based on what?

If JK left Celtic and became a manager in his own right, worked his way up the ladder in management and was successful then sure he may become a viable candidate as Celtic manager sometime in the future but until that happens he shouldn't be anywhere near the job.

Having a 'Celtic man' as manager should be seen as an added bonus but it certainly shouldn't be a requirement.
Remember being shocked when i heard he got the Belguim job mate .Sometimes better the devil you know ?

He's the right person to take us to the end of the season ,beyond that ....time will tell

i would go for xavi ex Barca player and just going into coaching
That sounds a bit too much like an experiment to me and we have tried that kind of experiment before with John Barnes and Liam Brady and they were less than successful experiments.

Last edited:
Back