Scottish Champs v European Champs, Tues 6th Sept 2022 at 8pm (BST)

RB Leipzig have sacked head coach Tedesco following last nights 1-4 home defeat to Shakhtar. Probably bad news for us as by the time we play them in the double header they will have a new coach who should get a lot more from their talented, but underachieving, players.
Rumours are Marco Rose to take over. He was Salzburg manager when we played them a few years ago.

Look-I love ange to bits-but theres no way I'm praising a 3 nil defeat at home to anyone-dont care who gets offended-we are Celtic ffs!no-no some wee diddy mob-i think ange has made a rod for his own back by telling the journo pricks that he only plays one way-fine domestically-but imo you need to adapt in Europe-teams will know we cant keep the intensity up for 90mins n will know they will get chances in the 2nd half against us-we have beaten quality teams in this tourney by being pragmatic and kept it tight at the back-with inferior players I would say-

Look-I love ange to bits-but theres no way I'm praising a 3 nil defeat at home to anyone-dont care who gets offended-we are Celtic ffs!no-no some wee diddy mob-i think ange has made a rod for his own back by telling the journo pricks that he only plays one way-fine domestically-but imo you need to adapt in Europe-teams will know we cant keep the intensity up for 90mins n will know they will get chances in the 2nd half against us-we have beaten quality teams in this tourney by being pragmatic and kept it tight at the back-with inferior players I would say-
How the fuck are we supposed to prepare for a team like Real? A wee 9-0 romp against united when our defence could probably have gone home at halftime? Much the same story against the huns. Real play against the best in Europe pretty much every month, we don't. Only 2 or 3 of our players had any CL experience it's a completely different level.
If all you look at is the result then yeah 3-0 sounds shite but if you look at the overall performance and some of our play against a genuinely world class team full of world class players then there's a hell of a lot of positives to take from it.

0-3 there's no shame in it were in a league where we play against killie, st mirren ,livingston :LOL: Madrid play the likes of Sevillia , Barca and a whole load of top european teams ,,,,,,a huge gulfin quality
Should we have beaten the current european champions ,,,who knows ,,,,,but this young team gave it a go ,a really good go , so i'll praise the team ,back the manager and thank them for givin us a great night

How the fuck are we supposed to prepare for a team like Real? A wee 9-0 romp against united when our defence could probably have gone home at halftime? Much the same story against the huns. Real play against the best in Europe pretty much every month, we don't. Only 2 or 3 of our players had any CL experience it's a completely different level.
If all you look at is the result then yeah 3-0 sounds shite but if you look at the overall performance and some of our play against a genuinely world class team full of world class players then there's a hell of a lot of positives to take from it.
Dunno mate-we beat messis barca with efe ambrose in our team?-maybe adapt the tactics like lenny and Strachan did?

Dunno mate-we beat messis barca with efe ambrose in our team?-maybe adapt the tactics like lenny and Strachan did?
I've advocated that before, like when the Snakes team were taken apart by PSV, but is having 10 men behind the ball and playing anti-football hoping for a draw really the Celtic way?
We genuinely outplayed them in the first half, even the Madrid press are saying that, but we didn't take our chances and were punished in the long run.
Our front players didn't look entirely confident on the night and things didn't come off for them but none of them have played at that level before. With a few more games in the CL they will all get more confidence and who knows where that can take us. I'll bet Ange is working on the weak points that were exposed last night as we speak.

I've advocated that before, like when the Snakes team were taken apart by PSV, but is having 10 men behind the ball and playing anti-football hoping for a draw really the Celtic way?
We genuinely outplayed them in the first half, even the Madrid press are saying that, but we didn't take our chances and were punished in the long run.
Our front players didn't look entirely confident on the night and things didn't come off for them but none of them have played at that level before. With a few more games in the CL they will all get more confidence and who knows where that can take us. I'll bet Ange is working on the weak points that were exposed last night as we speak.
Well and good mate but how many games is a ‘few’? We only have 5 more left.
TBH I would happy with 3rd place and going into the EL. But maybe I’m being pessimistic. Let’s see how we fare against the other 2 mobs.

Well and good mate but how many games is a ‘few’? We only have 5 more left.
TBH I would happy with 3rd place and going into the EL. But maybe I’m being pessimistic. Let’s see how we fare against the other 2 mobs.
Tbh given our budget, our recent European experience and the league we play in, the Europa League is probably more our "level" but the CL is great experience for the players and if we play as well in the rest of the games as we did in the first half maybe, just maybe 2nd isn't beyond us?

there a lot to look at in both side of our play last night.
We more than held our own in the first half and could have should have gone in at half time with an advantage, we never due to slack finishing and sheer bad luck.

In the second half, yes i believe Ange should maybe have been more cautious in our approach, held back a bit and tried the counter as we left them gaps all over the place to work the the ball around us.

In hindsight he probably wishes he brought Kyogo on earlier, i would have brought him on instead on Meada as Kyogo has more football in his right toe than Meada, for all he has an incredible engine he has no composure or natural ability as a footballer, had Kyogo been on in his place they chances would have been goals.

I agree we cant keep doing this in Europe as the caliber of opponents are way above what we are used to and the players are not in the same togetherness when we don't have the ball and are chasing after it.

The RM game was always one we realistically knew no points would be won, we only hoped and wished.

Now we have to go after the points if we are to finish 2nd or 3rd and to do this we must be more cautious in our play especially away from home, the next game will tell us all how we are going to do in the group by not only the result but by how we approach the game away from home.

In the home games i am all for the same game plan in the hope we can again get the result over the line by half time as i see that as a must do to win.

Anyway maybe that's why I'm typing this from work instead of drawing up a game plan at Celtic park.

In Ange we trust.

Hail hail

What would you have done differently last night @Plumbhoy75 ?

Should we have just sat in and defended a 0-0 and hoped for the best? Gone five at the back? Abandon the principles that Ange and the players have been working on for 14 months?

Agreed that we shouldn't be celebrating any sort of defeat, far from it, but you've got to see how far we've come in such a short space of time, but also how far there still is to go if we're going to be successful at Champions League level.

4 of Madrid's players (Benzema, Vinicius Jnr, Courtois & Rudiger) are on the 30 man shortlist for the ballon D'or this year. We're a team very much in progress but will real signs of steady improvement.

All relative mate. To Real Madrid, we are a wee diddy team. Infact to all top leagues in the world, including England, we are a wee diddy team. They don't care about 67 or a 60000 seater stadium or our history. We are a team from a wee back water league who are routinely pumped in europe. Do you think Man City, who haven't won a European Cup, class Notts County as a big team?? Do you think Real Madrid would give a fuck about their history. Not at all. The fact is....to the big boys, we are a diddy team and they fully expected to come and run over the top of us with ease....the way we do with that little diddy team (and double cup winners cup winner) Aberdeen.
The fact is all our bhoys can hope to do is make sure they aren't embarrassed. Last night they did that. So we should be proud. And if you think we should be expecting to beat teams like Madrid, home or away, then you and anyone else who thinks so are (don't offer me a square go, I live to far away) delusional 😂.
As for Lennons celts beating barca. On another night they could have destroyed us. It was a massive, famous win but barca battered us from pillar to post. We defended with our life's. That performance last night was a million leagues above the performance against Barca. IMO.....

Last edited:
All relative mate. To Real Madrid, we are a wee diddy team. Infact to all top leagues in the world, including England, we are a wee diddy team. They don't care about 67 or a 60000 seater stadium or our history. We are a team from a wee back water league who are routinely pumped in europe. Do you think Man City, who haven't won a European Cup, class Notts County as a big team?? Do you think Real Madrid would give a fuck about their history. Not at all. The fact is....to the big boys, we are a diddy team and they fully expected to come and run over the top of us with ease....the way we do with that little diddy team (and double cup winners cup winner) Aberdeen.
The fact is all out bhoys can hope to do is make sure they aren't embarrassed. Last night they did that. So we should be proud. And if you think we should be expecting to beat teams like Madrid, home or away, then you and anyone else who thinks so are (don't offer me a square go, I live to far away) delusional 😂.
As for Lennons celts beating barca. On another night they could have destroyed us. It was a massive, famous win but barca battered us from pillar to post. We defended with our life's. That performance last night was a million leagues above the performance against Barca. IMO.....

100%

Members online

Latest posts

Back