Scottish govt eyes October 2023 referendum

Let's discuss brainwashing Shammy, earlier in this thread you shared a post claiming 85% would vote for independence, almost double what every official poll claims but you and plenty of others like that idea so you accept it.
I've tried to genuinely discuss GDP earlier in this thread but it gets ignored because it doesn't fit with the fantasy so I get bored and start talking about cocks! Gross domestic product is only beneficial to us if we own the product and in so many instances we don't.
There's this belief that all Scottish resources belong to Scotland and the value of those resources will be used to benefit the people of Scotland after independence. Salmond peddled this theory in 2014 and thats when the nonsense that we are one of the richest nations came about, now Salmond is many things, a sex pest, a liar but I don't believe he's an idiot, he knew full well he was inflating GDP by ignoring ownership of the product and 8 years later it continues.
Let's take Scotch whisky, we're told that will give us billions, 38% is owned by Diageo (London company) 20% is owned by Chivas (French company) 6% is owned by Bacardi, 4% by La Martiniquais and there are others, so way more than 70% of whisky production is not owned by Scotland, so it may add nicely to GDP but we won't see much in the way of profit and an independent Scotland would only get duty and tax on it, a fraction of the turnover figures that get thrown about. That's not my opinion that's just a simple fact.
Fisheries and timber production are much the same.
As soon as the nationalist campaign start telling me the truth regarding finances and start dealing with and coming up with serious solutions to the real issues of independence such as currency, pensions, trading partners, a hard border with the rest of the UK, an effective Scottish defence and plenty of other issues then I'll start taking them seriously, until then I'll treat them with the contempt they deserve.

You may think I'm brainwashed or perhaps I've just chosen to engage mine and question the nonsense that confronts me.

Longest thing I've ever posted, Winter will be proud.
Just Googled the tax burden on whiskey…..70%, oil 30%
There is no doubt Scotland could finance itself, that is only 2 industries, by the time you take energy renewables, agriculture and fisheries in the equation, our wee country with only 5 million people we will be one of the wealthiest countries by head of population in the world 🤷‍♂️

There is no doubt Scotland could finance itself, that is only 2 industries, by the time you take energy renewables, agriculture and fisheries in the equation, our wee country with only 5 million people we will be one of the wealthiest countries by head of population in the world 🤷‍♂️
Relevant to whisky sold in the UK, we can't claim 70% duty on exported whisky.

Well folks we are well and truly fucked. I’ve just watched the Tory Party leaders debate there on Chanbel 4 and oh my fkg God things are bad really bad.😩

I couldn’t believe the pish that spouted from them about tax cuts and the NHS as if they cared when we all know they don’t and never will where there is a buck to be made and they are at the beck and call of the WEF.
and in all honestly I don’t know how in heavens name we are going to get through this with the likes of War mongering Truss blaming Putin and oh the Chinese too for everything that is wrong in world instead of looking at their stupid fucking sanctions that have backfired big time and we are now paying the price with inflation on an upward trajectory.

If that shambles tonight doesn’t make people want an independence referendum then I don’t know what will.
Hope I’ve no spoiled your Friday night but had to share.

Many thanks for the birthday wishes folks ( should it no be commiserations? ). Very much appreciated. Off back down to beautiful Bath after tomorrow's game. Back for the start of the Real stuff against The Dons. Hopefully catch up then. May good health and good fortune shine on you and yours.
The wan thing I can honestly say ive never thought after a game is, 'right, lets go for a bath', even against the mankies. 😉

This might help with the earlier discussions about Scotlands finances from Business for Scotland it’s in depth but there is a summary to help if it’s too much reading. This isn’t an snp document in fact Business for Scotland is urging the snp to do a similar report just in case you thought this was snp.

I'd like to draw attention to the success of Slovakia since the break-up of Czechoslovakia. In terms of population size, you could not have a better example of a thriving small-ish nation. The Slovaks have been developing every part of their country from Žilina to Košice. Unlike the Czech Republic, Slovakia adopted the Euro and that has worked well for them. The idea that they are controlled from Brussels is misleading, They would not have to beg for permission to hold a 'SLOXIT' referendum!

Imo its always been a dictatorship disguised as a democracy

All regimes wish they were as good at it as the Vampire counts of UK

If your prepared to sink your teeth into and drink the resources of other countries and pretend its not for the benefit of the few of the few then you will vote UK and its hidden hand.
You've taken that metaphor too far...

This might help with the earlier discussions about Scotlands finances from Business for Scotland it’s in depth but there is a summary to help if it’s too much reading. This isn’t an snp document in fact Business for Scotland is urging the snp to do a similar report just in case you thought this was snp.

One thing that no one can answer is would an Independent Scotland be less or more corrupt as a UK Scotland?
Ive had arguments with some fellow Celtic fans who reckon we would just be ruled by a corrupt Edinburgh.

Edit; correction. WE should read You, as I dont live in Scotland.

Reasons why mm?
Many years ago I had a wee problem which Salmond got sorted for me no biggie but he was a good constituency MP and as the Tories and the SNP are pretty close here in Aberdeenshire a tactical vote is the only way,as the others have no chance,Why do I detest wee Krankie ? M8 there’s not enough virtual paper and Im no getting any younger here to go in tae it

In football terms.
It will be a referendum of two half’s but at the end of the day whether Sturgeon scores or hits it wide she will be ruled offside,Westminster will cry foul and a penalty will be awarded and Scotland will have again failed to qualify for the Euro league,Sturgeon will resign as manager and go off to make a fortune as a pundit even though she is about as much use and likeable as Kriss Boyd and and the Tartan army will continue to sing that embarrassing dirge FOS from the stands in a futile act of defiance meanwhile the UK will continue to languish at the bottom of the league and continue to live off past glories such as 1966 WW2 and Brexit while building up an even bigger deficit than the one built up by Sevco in their short existence and Scotland will go through a series of managers that will have all the promise of Ally McLeod the charisma of Craig Brown and the tactics of Craig Levine as they pretend to run a club that is really just a subsidiary of City group.

Since this simple but inconvenient question was patched allow me to expand.
The figures banded about are total turnover, turnover doesn't make anyone rich, profit does and since almost all of the industries listed previously are dominated by companies who are not Scottish guess where the profit goes? Not Scotland is the simple answer.
What Scotland would receive is a tax revenue from those "foreign" companies, a fraction of the turnover.
If someone wants to vote for independence fine but don't base it on crazy figures that don't tell half the story and are in fact created to hoodwink you.
It's no better than the Boris bullshit about £300m a week extra for the NHS after Brexit, a complete fantasy figure but those who believed in Brexit believed the nonsense, a classic case of confirmation bias and its become absolutely rife in politics over the last decade. Tell people what they want to hear and they'll vote for you, who gives a shit if it's a lie.

You weren't patched, been chaos here with work,weans etc. That is the revenue in tax in those figures, WESTMINSTER is not very forthcoming about the true revenue you stream & tax generated in Scotland. Expecting another FOI in soon with hopefully updated figures, but last 2 FOI requests were denied because of no accurate figure due to Pandemic.

Just for the record anything I post regarding, Scotlands finances are verified figures.

Dont believe a word the No movement say. They are proven Tory liars. Corrupt Tory liars. They have right wing Tory think tanks whose sole job is to tell lies.
The rest of UK politics is not much better but the Tories are the absolute worst of the lying liars. The Conservative and Unionist Party.
If we are the subsidy junkies they say we are, why do they tell so many lies and go to extremes to keep us part of their corrupt union? The British, after all, are not known for their altruism. Ask any country in the world that has ever dealt with them.

Back